• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Quick lighting solutions

Hi guys, I'm my first short this friday and saturday (I know, I'm excited too!). We had arranged to borrow a lighting kit from a local group but they have pulled out and now we essentially have no lighting. We don't have a huge budget as we spent knowing that we had that lighting secured and so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for quick (and hopefully cheap!) lighting solutions.

To give some more info, the main locations are:

-in a house- it's a small student house and we will be doing some shots in the living room, kitchen etc.
-in a large, fairly empty room
-some outdoors shots, mostly done in the daytime but with one being shot later, not when it's totally dark but getting there
- ideally we also want some shots of a darkened room with just two individuals lit up, having a conversation across a table (I'm sure I've seen this a million times in films but can't for the life of me think of an example)

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys, thanks!

I think directorik is absolutely right. Lighting is as essential as anything else to having all this work you are doing get taken seriously and more importantly be seen as *good*.

Back