• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Flickering Torch Light

For one of my upcoming short series i want to have it set in a cave, creating the cave is no problem but getting the right lighting will be, i want to get a flickering effect like you would get from a medieval style torch. A real one would A) Probably not provide enough light and B) Set fire to the "Cave" and kill us all so i can't use a real one, i did a quick internet search on how to make one and came up with nothing. So i figured if anyone would know it would be one of you guys.

So fire away, thank you for any help you can give me :)

Spencer

You can rent a Flicker Box for cheap, at your local lighting place.

You plug your light into the box, and the box does the rest. The box has dozens of presets from rhythmic to random.

I 'spose a good queston would be... do you have electricity at your cave, though? :hmm:

You can rent a Flicker Box for cheap, at your local lighting place.

You plug your light into the box, and the box does the rest. The box has dozens of presets from rhythmic to random.

I 'spose a good queston would be... do you have electricity at your cave, though? :hmm:

Yeah, we're gonna build the cave in a warehouse/storage space and film it all in there, hopefully anyway, So electricity should be provided.

Thanks for the info, i'll have a look around and see what i can find, how would i make it that sort of orange light though? Filters?

how would i make it that sort of orange light though? Filters?

Place some CTO gel over your lightsource. Or red gel. Or combination thereof. Or whatever looks right to you.

Btw, here's more info on Flicker Boxes:

http://magicgadgets.com/mg_ol_04.htm

They are pretty cheap to rent, and they come in several sizes & behaviours. Go to a rental store and ask to see one. Then pick one suitable for your particular project.

Back