• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Shall i shoot 1080i or 1080p?

Hi Guys,

i am shooting a wedding tomorrow with a camera i have not used before... the Sony HVR - V1E.

I have the choice to shoot either progressive or Interlaced with this camera...

As i have said i am shooting a wedding.... i will be editing with Final Cut Express, the final output will be DVD, plus a promo video for my website online.

I just have no idea which one to go for... any help would be gratefully appreciated!

You always shoot for your most important release, if it's DVD go interlaced. If it's online or BluRay, progressive. If they're both important, progressive. It looks better to interlace progressive footage than to de-interlace interlaced. Most Hollywood films are this way. Hope that helps!

Yeah, progressive just give you MORE data then strictly needed for DVD playback.

Well...sort of. With progressive each frame is recorded at full resolution. With interlaced, each field is recorded at half resolution, but there are twice as many of them. Technically, the amount of data is the same overall. Movement is smoother with interlaced, individual frames are sharper with progressive.

As Paul said, progressive is better for internet and Blue-ray because that is their native playback standard, while DVD (NTSC standard) is native interlaced.

Back