• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Can I create this effect with Premiere Pro?

When it comes to putting a movie into 2.35:1, I do not want the black bars on the top and bottom as part of the actual video. Is there a way to remove the black bars and export at 2.35:1 instead of exporting at 1080p with black bars? I couldn't find a tutorial on how to do that.

Thanks for the input :).

Last edited:
1080p is 1920x1080 which is 16:9. The only way to achieve 2.35:1 with 1080p is by having those black bars. Why don't you simply set to the resolution you actually want?

When it comes to putting a movie into 2.35:1, I do not want the black bars on the top and bottom as part of the actual video. Is there a way to remove the black bars and export at 2.35:1 instead of exporting at 1080p with black bars? I couldn't find a tutorial on how to do that.

Thanks for the input :).

Why exactly do you want to render it out as a 2.35:1?
I can't think of a situation where you would physically need to have a video rendered at that exact aspect ratio. Because any theatrical screen or tv that you play the video/film on would be a 1080p projector or screen. So the video has to be presented at 1920x1080, and then the cinemascope video format is stuck inside of that space with the black bars.

I believe that you can render out any pixel size that you want, so you just have to figure out what the width would need to be compared to a 1080 pixel eight. Or what the height would need to be if the width is 1920 pixels. But I can't say if choosing unconventional aspect ratios for render will mess anything up or make it incompatible with video player softwares.

Yes you can. I have a project which the 1920 equivilent is 1920x810. You chan change your sequence setting to that. Then when you render you can also choose on some codecs (this is h.264 as we are uploading for my partner to review on vimeo) Some codec choices will not let you do that though.

20150815.jpg

Create a custom seuence in any size you want.
Export it.

Or change size in Export settings, let the video be cropped.

(Basic functions, that why there is no tutorial about it.)

Back