which audio equipment

Hi All,

basically next week im going to be getting some money say about £3000, i want to spend around £600 on audio, im going to be recording 2 people at the most.

so i was thinking, how do i record them with good sound? what equipment would you get and why? i have the zoom h4n in my list or the tascam dr-40, but what about mics and stuff?

any advise would be greatful thanks.

Hi Mr, I think about the money £ 600 you can buy a high-quality sound , you should look for sites that sell professional recording equipment and reliable and you should come here they will consult you should buy the best product.
Wish you soon get a recording best

I suggest the DR-40 and utlize the dual recording mode. You can either go with wired lavaliers concealed on the talent ( about $25 each on Amazon ) or the Audio Technica ATR875R shotgun and a boom pole

Hi All,

basically next week im going to be getting some money say about £3000, i want to spend around £600 on audio, im going to be recording 2 people at the most.

so i was thinking, how do i record them with good sound? what equipment would you get and why? i have the zoom h4n in my list or the tascam dr-40, but what about mics and stuff?

any advise would be greatful thanks.

I have a zoom h4n (which I love) and I use an audio technica shotgun mic and a wind sock and get great sound outdoors. But it all really depends on whether you'll be filming indoors or outdoors

I have a zoom h4n (which I love) and I use an audio technica shotgun mic and a wind sock and get great sound outdoors. But it all really depends on whether you'll be filming indoors or outdoors

hey thanks for your reply, ok so in a nutshell, il be recording outside mostly and yes its for short films, il have the h4n then on my list then, i would perhaps use it for recording myself for vlogs and stuff but im not too bothered about that, what i want is quality for recording outside.

thanks, also my camera is a t3i, so i definitly do not want to use the onboard mic.

im thinking about the rode ntg-2?

Hi Mr, I think about the money £ 600 you can buy a high-quality sound

£600 will not buy you high quality sound. It will get you the raw basics of prosumer quality gear. When it comes to micro-budget audio recorders I prefer Tascam; Tascam has a long history of making reliable budget products, they are usually built well, and, when it comes to budget audio recorders the mic pres are marginally less noisy. DR-40 and DR-100mkII are the current micro-budget favorites.

Both Rode and Audio Technica make passable low budget shotgun mics. Shotgun mics that supply their own power with a battery have significantly lower volume output levels (and cost substantially more) than shotgun mics that get their phantom power from the audio recorder or mixer. However, micro-budget audio recorders eat batteries at a ferocious rate when supplying phantom power to mics, so you will either need battery packs or LOTS of batteries.

You will also need headphones (extremely important!), a boom-pole, a shock-mount, wind protection and cables.

Of the greatest importance is someone who actually knows what they are doing when it comes to production sound. Being a boom-op is a very difficult job, and three times as hard when also running the audio recording gear, so choose your production sound person carefully.

Equipment will never get you great sound, the skill of your boom-op and your PSM and actually listening to what they have to say is what makes for great sound.

Last edited:
£600 will not buy you high quality sound. It will get you the raw basics of prosumer quality gear. When it comes to micro-budget audio recorders I prefer Tascam; Tascam has a long history of making reliable budget products, they are usually built well, and, when it comes to budget audio recorders the mic pres are marginally less noisy. DR-40 and DR-100mkII are the current micro-budget favorites.

Both Rode and Audio Technica make passable low budget shotgun mics. Shotgun mics that supply their own power with a battery have significantly lower volume output levels (and cost substantially more) than shotgun mics that get their phantom power from the audio recorder or mixer. However, micro-budget audio recorders eat batteries at a ferocious rate when supplying phantom power to mics, so you will either need battery packs or LOTS of batteries.

You will also need headphones (extremely important!), a boom-pole, a shock-mount, wind protection and cables.

Of the greatest importance is someone who actually knows what they are doing when it comes to production sound. Being a boom-op is a very difficult job, and three times as hard when also running the audio recording gear, so choose your production sound person carefully.

Equipment will never get you great sound, the skill of your boom-op and your PSM and actually listening to what they have to say is what makes for great sound.

i was actually looking for the zoom h4n yesterday, but all the shops had none, when behind a dusty shelf i saw dr-40, which i had preferred because of the price, i then bought it, haven't opened it yet, gonna buy about 9 rechargeable batteries to cater, i do have studio headphones so I'm guessing they be ok as il get a more natural flat sound.

so I'm thinking il get the rode NTG-2? what do you think of that?

I'm thinking il get the rode NTG-2? what do you think of that?

The NTG-2 has "significantly lower volume output levels (and cost substantially more) than shotgun mics that get their phantom power from the audio recorder or mixer." The Audio-Technica AT897 has the same issues for the same reasons.

You may want to look into the NTG-1 or AT875. But then there's the phantom power/battery issue..........

Oh, yeah... If you are shooting primarily indoors you may want to consider a hypercardioid mic instead of a shotgun.

The NTG-2 has "significantly lower volume output levels (and cost substantially more) than shotgun mics that get their phantom power from the audio recorder or mixer." The Audio-Technica AT897 has the same issues for the same reasons.

You may want to look into the NTG-1 or AT875. But then there's the phantom power/battery issue..........

Oh, yeah... If you are shooting primarily indoors you may want to consider a hypercardioid mic instead of a shotgun.

Do you mean the NTG-1 with phantom power supplied by the audio recorder is better than the NTG-2 powered by batteries (and connected to the audio recorder)? Is it louder? Louder is better?

Thanks

As someone who is not a fan of "Louder is better" I prefer to think that the NTG-1 and AT875 each have a stronger signal level than the NTG-2 or AT897. The issue is signal-to-noise, and micro-budget audio recorders have (relatively) noisy mic pre-amps. If the mic has a low signal level output you will be forced to turn up the gain of the mic pre-amps, thereby introducing more noise to the audio track.

If you're still confused, then yes, the NTG-1 and AT875 are louder than the NTG-2 or AT897.

Back