What is the ideal setup for filming a cross country documentary?

Say I wanted to film a cross country documentary, alot of moving and not alot of space for bulky equipment. What would be the ideal setup with low or reasonable cost?

Philosophy said:
I would like to also add it will be more of a "Reality" Documentary.

...I would submit that the definition of 'documentary' is reality. I don't know what you mean by that.

...anyway, I think you should know what you want to shoot. If you are going to be in a car, a camera with a motion stablizer system would be a good idea. How important is lighting for what you want to do? Where will you be shooting? I would presume you will not always be in a car.

...give some more info, as much as you are comfortable giving, then you may get more help...

--spinner :cool:

Like there's some package deals you can just nab off the internet somewhere. "Hey, hook me up with the road trip package... hmmm, let me check that... okay google doesn't turn anything up but I didn't look that hard. ;)

Cross country trip, sounds like MTV's Road Rules or it's bastardized cousin on primtime where adults race around the world for prizes and get divorced. I don't know how helpful these networks would be but it's probably a good start to find out what they used. Most reality TV shows have their own fan based message boards, I'd go and ask them this same question. You just might get one of their technicians answering you. It's a start anyway.

Batteries....

lots and lots of batteries... and chargers... lots of chargers, for the lots of batteries.
Take your camera cleaning kit with you too... don't want the cam to breakdown halfway with nothing to shoot with... Maybe have a main cam and a cam filming the cam filming.

Well actually there will be little or no time in the car, the trip will be made backpacking. Lighting is pretty important. I will be shooting alot in forrest areas and in large cities.

Lots of batteries and several chargers, but the most important thing is an assistant who follows you acting as a support, shuttling shot tapes out so they don't get damaged, bringing in fresh stock and brings you charged up batteries.

There are backpacks designed for cameras, try B&H's site. I'd say go with a DVX100a because it's smaller than a XL2. Get a shotgun mic, 2 wireless mics and lightwieght tripod. Finally, get plenty of big ziplock bags. They'll keep batteries, tape stock, etc... dry and safe.

Scott

You might be able to get away with something smaller than the dvx too... a sony GL-1 or GL-2 might do the trick for you just fine, or possibly the Panasonic GS-120,200, or the newer one the 400 I think..

Pick up at least one of those collapsible bounce cards (they come in a little zippered pouch and unfold/untwist to a larger circle or rounded rectangle... I got a car windshield shade like this at walmart for under $10) And some kind of portable camera light... halogen might be ok, as you could probably find something that is low voltage but bright enough at night.

Or maybe one of those LED lighting set ups.. lightweight and low power consumption! :D

Back