Camera Problems

I'm making a 30 second PSA for a scholarship to film school and need to know what camera would be the best choice for me.

A complete set of guidelines for the scholarship I'm trying to win is here: http://www.aclu.org/freedomwire/contest.htm# Just scroll down a tiny bit and click on the link that says contest guidelines. But if you don't want to do that, just pay attention to the rest of this post.

They want a 30 second, broadcast quality, PSA. I have a Sony Hi8 CCD-TR618/TR818 (it's all Greek to me.) :)
I'm not worried about the film quality, because I actually, sort of, want it to look like a crappy home video camera, but I have no way to upload the video onto my computer to edit it. My camera has no USB port/thing and to get an adapter it would cost about $60.

I was wondering if it would be better to just buy a Super 8 camera and then send off the film to be processed into an acceptable format and edit it upon it's return. This would also give my film quality a boost, because to make it look amateur I could just handle the camera inexpertly, and save the picture quality.

Any ideas?

If you shoot Super-8 you'll still have the same problem.

The film gets processed, then it needs to get transferred to video. (Telecine). You'll end up with a video-tape of your S8 footage... and still have no way to get that into your computer. Plus the cost of doing it on film would be far more expensive than getting a cheap FireWire card. ;)

One way or another, you're going to need to get a FireWire connection.

Thankyou so much. I'll follow your advice.

Just one thing, though. My camera doesn't have a firewire port at all, all it has is an A/V Out port, which requires a $60 converter to get it to upload to the computer. Is that a problem? (I know I'm such a newb)

Last edited:
Huh? Translation please? *just a note, I don't want to spend any more money than I have to. I need to save most or all of my money for college. I like cheap equipment*

Last edited:
I just noticed you said Hi-8 camera, not Digital-8. (I have a Dig-8... it just stuck in my head)

Yup, you have a different problem than just needing a FireWire. Hi-8 is an analogue source.

You'll need a video capture card. You might want to check your current video card... some of the more expensive ones have jacks for analogue capture. Otherwise, you'll have some shopping to do.

_______

An alternative to a video capture card is a digital camcorder with "pass-through" on it. That's probably not best for you though, because if you had that better camera you wouldn't be using the Hi-8 to start with. ;)

_______

Does your actual computer have FireWire already?

Zensteve said:
An alternative to a video capture card is a digital camcorder with "pass-through" on it. That's probably not best for you though, because if you had that better camera you wouldn't be using the Hi-8 to start with. ;)

_______

Does your actual computer have FireWire already?

A.) Hey, any excuse for a new camera is good with me. ;)

B.) Not sure. I'm gonna get my dad to help me on figuring out that one.

Sorry lost you there for a moment. You like cheap equipment, whow dos'nt?!!
But what are you doing then with a super expensiv editing program? Oh let me guss, the school computer like in my case!! Whithout my free learning hours on the school computer i would be lost!!!
But back to you and your pictur quality, maybe the easyest way is getting read of all the lines in movement is, working on the actually picture. Try every Filter you can find. Morve scenes together, and do the best with editing. If you are still noy happy, shoot again. I agree we need mony for living, but there is no need making a film if you cant even see what you have been shooting. Blairwich was a one of....! Dont you think? :D

Hahaha, this is true. My main problem, though, is just getting it onto the computer for editing. I'm sure I can get the lighting to be good enough to clear up some of the visual problems, and after that it can be as crappy as it wants. I'm sure my friend will let me borrow their better camera for a few clear shots if I need it.

I'm off to bed, for now. I still have school tomorrow. I'll try to get online and check back here during my fourth period class (around 11:30am.) ngggggh.

Back