questions on car mounts

I have a question that may sound stupid. If I'm shooting a scene in the car with a car mount on the side or on the hood, do I need a permit to shoot that scene. And is it even legal to drive with a camera mount on the hood?

Not a stupid question, this varies from place to place and/or is enforced differently from place to place.

Call the city in which you're shooting, they will know the answer to that (not the tie and date of the call and the name of the person you talked to in case there are any problems). I recently got to talk to the police cheif in my town about using airsoft guns in the city limits to film (never say that you're shooting with guns to a cop...they get twitchy). That was a cool experience and he was very interested to hear about the project. I think he may have been excited that something cool was happening in our quiet little town.

Most towns of any size have a website too. Generally it's :

www.(town name).ci.(state abbreviation).us

I was directed to ours by the fine folks at the city offices (non-emergency police number). They generally contain all the local laws regarding what you need. Make sure you state that you are an independant filmaker and give your name right up front. Not only is it polite, but you can drum up interest and help for your project by talking to everyone you can find about it.

Back