General Questions?

Hi, I'm new to the world of film-making and had some basic questions that might sound stupid, but here goes. If I have a budget of $5,000 and wanted to film a feature what would be the best way to spend my money? I already have a Panasonic dvx100a, and the computer and editing software. So the $5,000 would just be for equipment, but what and how much? Lighting? Mics? Dollies? Jibs? car mounts? can someone please help me? thanks

Well yes, you need all the lighting mics dollies jibs and that... but something you're missing is the cast AND crew! If you're not paying them, then you need to feed them. That can be a BIG chunk of change. Happy people tend to want to stay happy. If they've been wowrking for 12 or 14 hours and only had 3 meals, that's not too good.

Anyway, I don't know what you need or what the movie's about but you can check out ScottSpears site for some ideas of lighting on a budget.

Also Sticktowhatyouknow.com has awesome home made dollies and jibs. They tell you HOW they made it, so you can make yours.

I'd pay technical people first and foremost. Maybe an experienced 1st ad, someone who knows how to run a set, or at least a good camera person. Maybe a sound guy if you don't have one.

Actors will do just about anything for a reel and you can sometimes get very good actors for very little or nothing. I don't want to minimize their importance and they are certainly deserving of salary, it's just that you can sometimes get away without spending a lot on them.

Spend it on lights and sound. Get the actors to work deferred, and maybe pay a good DoP or AD.
Make your track pieces with PVC pipes, plywood and skateboard wheels.
We made a Jib out of PVC piping but it ended up being almost useless.
Lights and sound are VERY important.

It really depends on what your story is and what your resources are already. You might spend that money on locations. You might spend it on props, or sets. You'll probably spend some of it on lighting. There's just no way to know. I'm prepping a movie now that takes place almost entirely in the woods. The bulk of the budget is probably going to end up going to props and costumes, as well as the usual production expenses like food and expendables. Nothing for lights, or locations fees. All defereed salary.

I have made two movies for $5,000 - both for Vista Street Ent.

There are two schools of thought here:

1) you shoot over a long period of time - say every other weekend for 5 months (18 days total)

2) you shoot in one fell swoop - say 8-10 straight days.

With a very small crew (8 people total) and very few cast (6 people total) your food alone will cost $100 - $150 a day. Then there are other fixed costs.

I suggest you do your entire budget and what ever is left over is what you can spend on equipment.

Of course if you aren’t going to pay anyone, or feed anyone then I guess most of the $5,000 can go to equipment.

Chances are you’ll want to rent a dolly, jib, car mount and even lighting. Or make them yourself.

There are just so many ways to go here - it’s hard to help with so little info.

More info on budget

Thanks for the insight everyone. I can give a little more info here. My movie is a character driven piece, so there are no explosions or special fx. It takes place here in Buffalo NY. The locations are going to be easy. Everyone I talked to will be more than happy to let me shoot at their establishments. i.e night clubs, barbershops, I even have a hospital willing to let me use a room for a couple of days, so I won't need to spend money on locations. The film commision here will give me permits for free, unless I want to close off streets, then I have to pay for the policemen. I have a few moving car scenes, a few night club scenes, and the rest pretty much outside on the street or in someone's house. I plan to use as many people I know to be actors, I already have alot of comitments on that. I even will be able to get my friesnds as extras, no problem there, so I won't pay any of them, just feed them I guess. I'm gonna try and raise money seperately for food, so that won't be in my 5,000 budget, and like I said I already have the camera on the computer. I hope I clarified myself a little more, so if anyone has a few more suggestions I appreciate it.

The main thing I'd like to coution you on, especially if you're going to try and make money off of this, is to get releases from EVRYONE! That's the barbershop, the hospital, the friend who has the house, all the friends, all the extra's, etc... Technically, everything that's on the film is supposed to have permission. So if you're driving by a building and you can see the building, and make out that it's Larry's Latin Lasagna restaraunt, then Larry should have given you permission to have his place on your film....

HOWEVER, with that said, it might be over kill... It depends on where you see the film going. If it get's distributed and you sign off stating that everyone gave permission it's you, or your film's LLC that's liable.

For me, if I were to shoot a scene like that... I'd either DOF it so everything past the subject is blurry, or I'd do it in Post.

To get someone to sigh a piece of paper costs you no money, well I guess for the paper it does.

rockydm92 said:
Thanks for the insight everyone. I can give a little more info here. My movie is a character driven piece, so there are no explosions or special fx. It takes place here in Buffalo NY. The locations are going to be easy. Everyone I talked to will be more than happy to let me shoot at their establishments. i.e night clubs, barbershops, I even have a hospital willing to let me use a room for a couple of days, so I won't need to spend money on locations. The film commision here will give me permits for free, unless I want to close off streets, then I have to pay for the policemen. I have a few moving car scenes, a few night club scenes, and the rest pretty much outside on the street or in someone's house. I plan to use as many people I know to be actors, I already have alot of comitments on that. I even will be able to get my friesnds as extras, no problem there, so I won't pay any of them, just feed them I guess. I'm gonna try and raise money seperately for food, so that won't be in my 5,000 budget, and like I said I already have the camera on the computer. I hope I clarified myself a little more, so if anyone has a few more suggestions I appreciate it.

This is one of the bigest problems I hav had and I'll bet some of you have to.

I even will be able to get my friesnds as extras, no problem there,................ thats how it starts, first week is good, then one of them can't come back, or they forgot, or the dog ate it, and bang, all your footage is useless.

What I found works, is put up flyers at the schools for film, the only people you will hear from want to be there.

yhanks for the info, but I have already cleared release forms with everyone, but I did not know about the driving by a store or building that I need permission, thanks you've been very helpful.

LizaTrainer said:
This is one of the bigest problems I hav had and I'll bet some of you have to.

I even will be able to get my friesnds as extras, no problem there,................ thats how it starts, first week is good, then one of them can't come back, or they forgot, or the dog ate it, and bang, all your footage is useless.
This is the biggest problem when you aren't paying people - finding people that have the same passion as you who will stick to the project.

I understand wanting to give up an entire weekend (several of them) to make your own movie - and I also understand NOT wanting to give up an entire weekend (several of them) to be an extra in someone else's movie.

How many of us movie makers actually give up our free time to work as an extra or on crew for someone else?

rockydm92 said:
So the $5,000 would just be for equipment, but what and how much? Lighting? Mics? Dollies? Jibs? car mounts? can someone please help me? thanks
Your original question has been hijacked!

So you are getting everything for free: cast, crew, locations, permits, props, costumes - and you’ll be raising additional money to feed your cast and crew so you’ll be spending all $5,000 on production equipment.

You can make a usable dolly for under $500 and a usable car mount for under $300. A good mic for $500 and boom will run you another $300-$400 unless you use a painters poll for $10. Do you have a good tri-pod?

That leaves you around $3,500 for a good lighting/grip kit. I suggest:
A Baby 5k
4 Junior 2k’s
a kino-flo
2 650w tweenies
4 200w peppers
4 china balls

grip equipment:
c-stands (at least 6)
flags (assorted sizes - at least 8)
scrims (at least 6)
silks (at least 2)
cookies (at least 1)
sandbags (one for every light/c-stand and then 6 more)

Back