Extreamly new to film industry and need information

Hi, I am a friend of John Jordan and he has gotten me interested in the film industry. I am thinking i could either be a FX assistant or a PA but to be honest im pretty clueless on what the full job of either of those positions are. I know the FX assistant involves green screening and smoke and wind and etc. but i just was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to get started in this industry with no experience what so ever.....

I live in north carolina and i am only 17 if that helps any..

Screen Gems Studios is in NC. You could contact them and ask if they have an intern program.

Contact the Wilmington Regional Film Commission. They can give you the names of production managers hiring crew in the area. They have a "Crew Directory". Contact special effects people and ask if they are willing to use you as an intern.

The EFX union in the Carolinas is IATSE Local 491. They have intern programs for people with no experience.

Build your experience by volunteering on student films. Try the North Carolina School of the arts filmmaking program. You don't have to apply to the school - just volunteer to work as crew on some student films.

Fox,

Where in NC? I have a friend who just moved her prodco. to NC. If you are close enough to her, I'll contact her and ask if you can interview.

A PA does ANYTHING he/she is told to do. You are a gopher without any attitude. Run errands, take out the trash, wrangle cable, pick up someone's "stuff" so they can stay in a meeting and solve a problem, even babysit the producer's kids for an hour after school, etc. It's hard work and low pay ('cept for a 17 year old) and you get to learn the business while getting paid.

By the way, I was 44 when I got my first job as a PA, and I loved it. Now I'm a filmmaker, and one reason is I enjoyed learning about the biz as a PA.

WC

i live in burlington. I dont mind hard work. that's not a problem at all. I am pretty well disciplined so i dont have a problem with attitude. If your friend is anywhere near burlington let me know ok?

Back