MTS on Mac,seems too easy?

I have read horror stories about people using FCP7 on mac and importing the MTS files from panasonic and sony cameras.This morning I tried it myself and at first it did as expected and wouldn't allow me to import the files, however having downloaded panasonics own plug in the files now work perfectly in FCP7.This seems too easy after all I have read with people having to buy expensive software to change the coding and all sorts of stuff that I couldn't grasp even the basics of.

Now I'm worried that I will be losing quality or functionality by using this plug in,otherwise why would people take much longer routes to the same end?

Looking for people to put my mind at ease!

Cheers.

I didn't know Panasonic had their own plug-in! It might be relatively new, so that might be why people aren't using it as much.

I've generally used ClipWrap, which works perfectly fine.

Me neither until today.I have just imported some footage to play with from my gh2 (driftwood apocolypse now patch) and it plays in FCP7 but is hugely jumpy and every 2 seconds I get a warning message telling me that one or more frames were dropped during playback? Is this down to the plug in or more likely my macbook pro not being able to handle the load of the big hacked files?

The Panasonic plugin is a godsend. It's just not very well known because its pretty well hidden both on Panasonic's website and Google.

Your warning message could be down to your hard drives' data rate. But with the plugin now installed, you can open the MTS file in MPEG Streamclip [Choose Open Anyway when the software asks] and convert it into a format you might be more used to, such as Prores 422

Cheers I will give this a go, i am completely new with all this so most of the terms used i tend to run off and google.I'll try MPEG streamclip and convert to prores 422 and hope that makes them play better.Strangely one clip that I took outside played absolutely fine!

My hard drive I would have thought is pretty decent and upto the job but perhaps not.

AVCHD is heavily compressed and has a complex compression algorithm that is much more difficult for a computer to decompress compared to something like ProRes.

It's always good to convert to intermediaries like that

Back