Birdman

WOW!!! WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I kinda liked this movie. A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At this juncture, I will not discuss plot details, because I don't want to spoil anything for anybody. Maybe in a week or two we start discussing particulars, while being sure to wrap spoiler-alerts around everything.

For now, I'll say this -- the whole "continuous take" thing is no gimmick. I really think it was used brilliantly, to help better tell the story.

I can't wait to see it again. Michael Keaton, Edward Norton and Emma Stone owned the screen! In my opinion, this movie is each of their career-defining roles.

And the writing! Holy shit, it's so witty and clever. And I don't just mean in the sense of dialogue, but the way that one scene flows so naturally into the next. The film is in a constant state of nearly boiling over.

And seeing how it takes place in the world of professional theater, which is of course the closest relative to filmmaking, I especially think that any member of this forum needs to go see this movie NOW.

Will Avatar be dethroned?

Haven't seen Birdman yet, being a Brit has its disadvantages occasionally, but I've been looking forward to it for the best part of a year. Massively excited for its release over here.

I just saw it yesterday - I loved the cinematography and the storyline. The acting was fantastic; I would be shocked if Micheal Keaton doesn't at least get a nomination for best actor. The ending was somewhat ambiguous, what did you think it meant?
My interpretation was that Riggan killed himself, and that caused Sam to start seeing things too. I did see one theory that said that Riggan died at the beach when he tried to drown himself and another that said that he died at the theater. I don't know, both of those sound pretty far fetched to me.
All in all though, great movie. I love it when a movie has you thinking past the point that you walk out of the theater.

I hate talking about movies on a message board. But, yeah, that
is one hell of a good movie. I fell into that world so completely it
was magical. I never once thought about the cinematography. I
never once thought about the acting.

I worked as a stagehand in that theater for three months so that's
the only thing that pulled me out occasionally. But obviously not
the fault of the filmmakers.

I was hoping this thread was going to be a tribute to the erstwhile IT poster, or an update on how his script is doing...

I'm late posting in this thread but loved Birdman as well.

The immediacy of a play lies in the constraint of time in which all events occur.

Birdman was Hitchcock's Rope where several cuts were glossed over to portray one long take.

I thoroughly enjoyed Birdman and Keaton has been one of my underrated actors whom I wanted to win.

The 'Birdman' play falls a bit, though, since it switches between night and day; large gaps of time. It still works and I loved it but the immediacy was lost and Rope suddenly seemed more real.

I can't for the life of me understand how it won best screen play.
I was bored and couldn't wait for the movie to end.

Sure good acting, sure good cinematography but I kept thinking about those things the entire time too. How could you not think about the acting when they keep rubbing your face in it talking about how good or bad of an actor someone is

I liked it too. Maybe really liked it. I have to digest it and watch it again sometime.

Finely crafted.

A gritty story about theater, but also whimsical. It's really cool that Rik has been in and worked at that theater, by the way.

I liked the
magical realism
, if that's what it is.

Great cast.

I think one of the best scenes is
when the cocky Mike arrives and wants to get right into rehearsing with Riggan. It's cool how they, collaboratively, quickly make the scene better through, I guess, economization. And we learn that Mike probably has a magical power of his own.

I agree that Interstellar should have been a contender. But I think I'm to the point of caring little what movies the Academy nominates or gives awards to (in other words, rewards). Which is not to say that I'm entirely uninterested, just disenchanted. It's just a show and a constituency with it's/their own politics and prejudices etcetera. Ef 'em. What's the best film or performance or example of this or that job of craftsmanship cannot rightly be determined by a vote! Thank God. Having said that, Birdman was worthy, I think. :)

Last edited:
I thought it was good but not great, i was bored in parts and only really enjoyed the film past 20 mins, I nearly fell asleep at one point, I love the style and I love the story but I just couldnt help think there was more to be done that could have made the beginning a bit more interesting for me.

overall a good film with great aspects but lacks the ability to draw me in 100% of the way through or at least 90%.

Back