• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Camera through hole effect

Hi, I am working on a transition that goes through the keyhole of an image (the hole is dark) and I want it to zoom in through the keyhole and as it gets closer, a video I have in the timeline will be playing so that when we get through the keyhole, the video will fill the screen. Is there a good tutorial anyone can recommend for this effect? I used Adobe Premiere Pro CC.

Thank you

Pretty easy then. Just make sure the logo is super high rez, that way it won't pixelate as you zoom in. In Photoshop or GIMP, paint your keyhole chroma green (or blue, or any color not in the logo). Then in Premeire you just use the transform options to scale and move the logo around, pushing into the keyhole. Add a chromakey effect to get rid of your color and you're good.

If you can get a vector version of the logo (or trace one and make one yourself with illustrator), you won't have to worry about resolution at all. Just import the .ai file or whatever vector file you have. That is, if you have it.

Got it mostly figured out. Had to finish another project before I did this short one. I am having an issue with making the motion smooth. With the zoom and using the keyframes in motion, it gets jerky at times, rather than being perfectly smooth. Any way to easily fix the motion so it's smooth all the way through?

You should only need 2 key frames. One at the start and one at the end. Key frame 1 is full screen, logo fully visible, while key frame 2 should be zoomed all the way into the keyhole, so that the entire frame is filled with green (or blue, or whatever). That should give you a perfectly smooth motion.

I tried that but it gave me trouble because it started off too fast and then slowed down in the middle, and then it wasn't always centered. So I had to put lots of different key frames so it allowed it to move slower all the way through and not get off centered, it's a tricky logo. So I worked it out where it stays focused on one point and never gets off centered, but now it's just the issue with the jerky motion at parts unfortunately.

Perhaps I'm missing something... I'm envisioning something along the lines of a simple word, with a letter, perhaps an 'I', replaced with a keyhole...

The animation speed of the zoom shouldn't change, not with only 2 key frames. It should move at a constant speed between A and B. That speed would be altered by moving the key frames closer, or further apart.

Ok so I found that with two key frames it does move steadier without the jerkiness, thank you. But I still have the issue of once it starts moving it goes fast then slows down at the same pace for the rest, so really it's just getting the beginning to start slower rather than just start quickly which I can't figure out.

Back