Am I Wrong For This?

Took photos for an event this past weekend. Beforehand I asked the lady if she wanted me to shoot in RAW or JPEG. She told me RAW so that is what I did. The next day later I get an email from the lady saying that she cannot open the files, she didn't know that to open RAW files you need a program like Photoshop or Lightroom, which she doesnt have. She want me to send back all the files in JPEG. I told her that I only shot the files in RAW and converting over 300 photos in JPEG is time consuming and I am busy always working on projects. I did what she told me to do, it's just unfortunate that she did not know the difference. But I feel as though that really doesn't fall on me, I did my job. I gave her names of free online image converters, which is pretty simple to use. She asked me if I can convert them, I said no, I am a full time student and work on other projects I really dont have the time. She was pretty upset and was yapping about karma. I just wanted to know if I am in the wrong.

Yep. You did wrong.

I have to give you a -1 points for multiple things. A). Customer service fail which may hurt your chances of a referral, but mostly B). Failing to offer an hourly fee for the file conversion service.

Yep. You did wrong.

I have to give you a -1 points for multiple things. A). Customer service fail which may hurt your chances of a referral, but mostly B). Failing to offer an hourly fee for the file conversion service.

I did offer a rate for converting the files but she wanted me to do it for free. I should have added that. Like I dont want any negative reviews but I feel as though there is nothing I can do when she expects me to convert the files for free.

I guess lesson learned. Time to bank that experience for next time.

Some clients are like that. Part of being a professional freelancer is learning how to deal with clients and how to avoid issues by agreeing on expectations beforehand. When you come across a client who shows you the same warning signs, you adjust. Some choose to become "booked", others "significantly raise their fee" in hopes the problem client moves on to the next less experienced freelancer.

When providing service to someone, it is often your job to anticipate their needs. Was there any way for you to figure out, during your initial conversations, if she had any clue what RAW was and what working with that format entailed? If so, yes it was your job to figure out what she needed. You're the expert, not her.

Hey, lessons learned. :)

When I do stills coverage of events, I set my camera to RAW+JPEG, just to be on the safe side.

Anyway, editing programs like Lightroom and PhotoShop can easily handle batch conversion, and batches that large are typically sleep tasks for me. Set the batch, hit "go", and go to sleep. Wake up the next morning with a fresh, hot batch of JPEGs.

Last edited:
Well, you now have client that feels ripped off or at least duped.

Send a contactsheet, ask her which 10 pictures she'd like to have first.

Explain that need to have time to work for free. So she might have to be patient.

What AcousticAl says: if you don't need to develop every picture: batch and go!

You have to look at this from the clients side. She hired you to take photos of an event. Then when she receives the photos she can't open them. To make matters worse, you tell her she will either need to pay you more or buy an expensive program to open them or go through some time consuming online converter.

To someone without any knowledge of these things, this would come off as a miscommunication at best, and a straight rip off at worst.

If I were you, I would absolutely convert all of those files for free and also apologize for the miscommunication on your part.

Yes, you should get her pictures to her. It is/was YOUR job to make sure that she got the pictures that she paid for. When she asked for RAW you should have pointed out the issues; "you do have a program that can open RAW files, right?"

You're the "expert," so it's your job to anticipate the inexperience of the client; that's why you were hired in the first place.

There is also a bit of caveat emptor here.

Pros know to ask further questions and then have the time to
make things right; students do not. The client got what she paid
for; a dedicated student with beginning experience. I'll bet candidiva
was a lot less expensive than a professional.

There is nothing wrong with being a student or in not fully understanding
your total obligations - it's what learning is. I'm with the others; candidiva
is in the wrong here. I suggest doing everything you can to fix it even if
that means taking way more time than you expected or than you have.

I did not read the replies, but you could have gone the extra mile to please the client. Then through word of mouth you get more work, and good reviews. There's a reason they say "the customer is always right." It's does not mean they are right, it means you resolve the issue as if they are right. Of course this only goes so far, but you still try to please them no matter what. If you asked me if I wanted raw or jpeg, I may assume if I say raw, I get both. This could have been cleared up beforehand.

Beforehand I asked the lady if she wanted me to shoot in RAW or JPEG. She told me RAW so that is what I did.
She has nobody to blame but herself. And you're not the only person on the planet who can convert files. Any average Joe on CraigsList can do that with open source software.

It was definitely customer service fail. She might have missed the deadline to submit the photos after the event because she could not open the files.

In future shoot images in Raw and JPG. This should be standard practice where client expects you to delivery them unedited photos. Shoot only raw if you will be editing them and are providing only edited images.

All the best with future project. We all make mistakes and its important to learn from them.

Work based on referral is very important.

Hatim Saleh

Biggest lesson is that not everyone knows or understands what RAW is. Most will assume that you can just shoot and it can be easily opened with a default program. It's your job to inform the client what you're able to do and what they're getting.

Back