Syncing Audio

What's the best way to sync audio in post?

I don't know much about audio, and I'm looking to start building my audio gear collection, so any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks.

JJ and H44... This is all sorts of wrong. Are you sure you two haven't been sent here by aliens to destroy our culture?

How on earth do you know if there's a problem with your audio, thus making the take unusable without ADR, if you don't sync before editing?

I cannot see you getting any half competent editor or post sound guy to work with you on any project.

JJ and H44... This is all sorts of wrong. Are you sure you two haven't been sent here by aliens to destroy our culture?

How on earth do you know if there's a problem with your audio, thus making the take unusable without ADR, if you don't sync before editing?

I cannot see you getting any half competent editor or post sound guy to work with you on any project.

First of all I am the one doing all the editing. So I have to deal with myself. I am sure I am not even close to half way competent. If I where to work with a competent editor or post sound guy, I am sure I would have the audio the same day..not weeks away and I would work with them and their work flow.

3 projects, each one being around the 1 hour mark, completed and my method for my team has worked the most efficiently for us.

For bad takes, I have had to build the audio from good takes in order to keep the shot the director wanted. This last project, the audio guy completely missed recording two wide angle takes. After I edited the scene and got the audio, I had to re-cut a bit...and then create the wide angle dialog from the close up takes.

I apologize if my workflow is "all sorts of wrong" and for being "sent here by aliens". I will bow out of here and let the professionals do their thing.

I listen to all the audio beforehand and label all the takes, the same names as the video takes. I just didn't know you could merge them prior, and would wait to put the audio takes in, after the video edit of a scene. But I always check the audio and label it before editing. But now that I know I can merge prior, I will do that.

Last edited:
jj. You seem like a nice guy. Distance yourself from h44. If he suggests a method, do the exact opposite. Your filmmaking quality will increase in leaps and bounds.

I'm glad the workflow you've chosen works for you, but as you just explained in your own example, it causes issues and work that should have been avoided in the first place, by displacing important information until later in the process. When you learn to work more with teams, learning the proper workflow will both help you work with professionals and help increase your chances of being employable in the industry.

I just didn't know you could merge them prior

Oh H44... You are either so full of it or have an IQ the level of a pet rock. You've been told, by my guess over a dozen times on this forum by APE alone. You choose to ignore good advice. I'm flabbergasted to understand how you manage to click the right buttons use a computer so successfully to share your adventures on forums yet fail to follow the simplest of instructions for filmmaking, yet still insist that your methods are best.

I listen to all the audio beforehand and label all the takes, the same names as the video takes. I just didn't know you could merge them prior, and would wait to put the audio takes in, after the video edit of a scene. But I always check the audio and label it before editing.

You do What?! Let me see if I've understood your workflow correctly: You/Your friend/Some producer has hired (paid/unpaid/whatever) a PSM, who has set a level, pressed a red button, monitored (carefully listened to) all the recordings and labelled all the audio files. In post, the first thing you do is listen to all the audio files again and re-label them all again. For an average 90 minute feature you're likely to have at least several hundred audio files, probably totalling say 30 hours (or far more). So listening, identifying and re-labelling all these audio files is going to take anything from a few days to 2 weeks or so.

Let's look at the professional workflow: The PSM and someone from the camera department spend about 10 minutes in pre-production agreeing a file labelling convention. On set, at the beginning of every take, someone spends about 10 seconds filling out and using the Slate and at the end of every take a few seconds is spent naming the video and sound files and making an entry in the picture and sound logs. The End. No going through all the audio files again and repeating the same job for a second time!

In other words, you seem perfectly happy to waste a week or so re-doing an already completed job but don't want to use a slate because it "wastes" a few seconds per take! If that's not absurd enough, you then go on a public forum, contradict those providing sensible/professional advice and advise someone getting started to take your approach. This seems to be a step beyond your usually more minor brain farts and I'm starting to wonder if maybe you're OK?

To be honest, it's not so uncommon in a professional workflow for the picture editor to edit mainly with the camera audio and leave identifying and sorting out any problems in the external recorder's audio to the audio post team. However, and in this case it's a big however: 1. The camera audio is usually quite usable for this purpose because it's usually a feed from the PSM's mixer and 2. The files on the recorder and camera use the same labelling convention, were locked to the same time-code and have matching metadata. In this case, it's a relatively quick, automated process in audio post to substitute all the edited camera dialogue in the exported OMF/AAF with the recorder's audio ... with the additional benefit of also being able to pull in any alt takes and/or other mic channels automatically with just a couple of mouse clicks. Although it's relatively expensive to hire time-code equipment for filming, this expense in a professional situation is more than offset by the time/cost saved by the picture editor only having to pull in and work with the camera's sound and by the time/cost savings in audio post. Obviously though at the no/lo budget level where few use time-code lock, it's better to use a copy of the recorder's audio when picture editing and not use the camera audio at all except as a backup or guide, as you and others have described.

G

Well for the feature we used my field recorder and mics. I would bring them to the set, and then go home at the end of the shoot with them. Since the audio takes were at my place, they thought it was more convenient, to label the takes after their video takes, and they would send me their video, and want me to sync it up. I know it's not the most time efficient way, but that's they way they wanted to do it. I have suggested other ways, but the video editor keeps stalling with the sound that I have given him, so I took care of syncing it so far, to satisfy everyone else.

Last edited:
Back