Is the director being unfair to me?

I am helping a friend shoot her feature film. Just so their is no confusion this is not the same person who I am acting in a short film in that I mentioned in another post. I am doing the production audio for a friend cause I owe her a favor for help she has given me before. She couldn't find a PSM/boom op, so she is using me.

But she doesn't give me any storyboards before a shoot. She is in constant contact with the DP and they have meetings all the time. The DP tells me so, and I go to him for storyboards, cause all she does is send emails saying I need to be here in two days, or be there tomorrow. That's all she gives me. I feel I could use the same treatment so it will help me record sound better. Especially since I am not a PSM at all, so I don't think it's asking too much. Otherwise I have no time to creatively prepare how to work around the shots.

I also do not know which scenes we are shooting when she emails shoot dates to me. She will describe the scene to me, but the script is not written in screenplay form. It's written just like a novel and their are no scene headings or nothing so it makes it very complicated to know which scene, when I have to do a shoot with little notice or time to prepare.

What do you think? I guess I am just venting but it is frustrating.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with suggesting a better way to do things, but there is a time and a place for it.

While you're trying to set up isn't always the best time to discuss the frame rate, telling them that converting to 2.35:1 from 16:9 isn't the best option in post is also not a good time.

If you're learning how not to do things, then you're still learning very important tasks. In time, you may even be able to see the projects in advance that you're not going to be able to learn from, so you'll know what to avoid. So it sounds like you've still got something to learn ;)

For sure. I am only wanting to help. I was told by the DP to not be afraid to say if they think something wrong is being done, and that it's part of the job of being on set. But that could be just his opinion.

They could have their reasons but after they showed scenes to other people, nobody liked the 60p turned to 24p, or squished aspect ratio, and they pointed it out, and said it was a detraction. But perhaps their is an audience for it.

One more time...

You are supposed to do your job and keep your mouth shut with regards to everything else. It is NOT your project. They can f*<k it up if they want to.

I fundamentally disagree. I believe Harmonica44 should jump in at every opportunity when he sees something he doesn't like in every possible situation.

For example, if he was on a bus and he didn't like the way the driver was taking corners, he should immediately jump in to tell him that. Or if he encounters, for example, a dangerous, outlaw biker gang acting in a way contrary to what he believes should be the best interest of the public, he should immediately tell them so in a very loud, persistent manner. Or if he sees a police officer who he believes should be acting to a higher standard, he should let them know instantaneously and aggressively.

Go for it H44, you can make the world a better place.

Gorilla - You're examples are just terrible. You're talking about someone speaking up in the act of danger. Has nothing to do with someone being hired to shut their mouth and do their job. You hired to do a job, not have an opinion and tell the person who hired you how to do their job. Alcove it correct. It's their film. Regardless if they f**k it up or not, it's not your place to tell them "you should do it this way."

Gorilla - You're examples are just terrible. You're talking about someone speaking up in the act of danger. Has nothing to do with someone being hired to shut their mouth and do their job. You hired to do a job, not have an opinion and tell the person who hired you how to do their job. Alcove it correct. It's their film. Regardless if they f**k it up or not, it's not your place to tell them "you should do it this way."

They are great examples. Even better, if he sees someone doing a job which is simply not good enough - e.g. if the service in the local McDonalds is not up to scratch then he should definitely jump in to tell them and take great pains to do so and at tremendous length. It doesn't matter if there is a massive queue (in fact, the more witnesses, the better, particularly if there are a couple of police officers around) - simply leap athletically over the counter and start ordering them around.

If you don't believe me, just try it yourself. I guarantee you will receive a tremendous reaction. Seriously. Just do it the first opportunity you get and you will be appreciated.

For example, if he believes the sound recordist should be doing a better job, on set, seize the boompole from their surprised clutches, wrestle them to the ground if necessary, grab their equipment and make sure it is the way you / he want it. It's important.

It's how Spielberg started.

Again, you're examples were and still are poor.

The difference that you are completely missing is this:

A CUSTOMER has every right to complain if service isn't up to par at McDonalds. The customer is paying. The customer is always right (in most cases)

However, when you are hired to work on a film shoot, you're hired to shut up and do your job. You're not hired as a consultant to give your opinion. That's not your place and not what you were hired to do. Simple as that.

I'm not going to "try it myself" because I never work a crew position. I've done it in the past but that was in the past...

Back