Steadicam Operator

Inspired by devinsupertramp, a Youtuber, and his amazing steadicam operation skills, I threw a small event together so I could film it and practice the technique. Now I'm looking for honest and professional feedback. I would like to improve my cinematography skills so please be as critical as you wish. I used a Glidecam 2000 HD, but if anyone else has a better recommendation, I'm all ears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAsdshF9ZB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAsdshF9ZB4

Last edited by a moderator:
nice. Lots of action and fun motion..

Doesn't seem particularly challenging though as there was no focus pulling, very large DOF and you used a wide lens for most\all shots, all of which are conducive to easier (I did not say easy) handheld shooting.

Try those same moves while pulling focus with shallower Depth Of Field and narrow filed of view. All of which will make it very hard to get good handheld...

your sighted inspiration has shots in his work that have shallow DOF, narrow field of view and focus racks.. I will say I doubt that those shots are steadycam, probably just hand held shoulder rig..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOhVBk9DcrY

Last edited:
You can't pull focus while flying a steadicam unless you have someone else using a remote device or you're not moving.

I don't remember witnessing rack focus on Devin's videos while moving so he must be just standing still and taking portrait-like shots.

For shallow DOF, you just focus on something close instead of the usual hyperfocal and try to keep things in focus with footwork instead of focus pulling. 90% of the footage will turn out garbage (and the DSLR unfriendly screen doesn't help) but you can edit out the bad parts.

Your video is a good start, there are some interesting shots in there and some boring too.
What lens are you using ? Consider getting a polariser (like Devin) if you're not going to grade (like Devin bis).

I love Devin's channel and he's been my favourite YouTuber for probably over 6 months now. He is an inspiration to myself as well. I use the Steadicam Merlin which from what I've seen in terms of stabilization of small cameras is the Glidecams only real competition (but the Glidecam wins on price by far). I've actually been very interested int trying a Glidecam to see if they are possibly a better rig. I think for different shots each may have it's advantages/weaknesses.

As far as your video goes: it looked nice though some shots seemed to be almost too fast (as though perhaps they'd been sped up). It was hard to tell what was going on and though the title said it, for some reason it took me a little while to figure out what they were throwing. It felt a little long for the type of thing you were shooting. I did watch without sound asmy house is alseep but I have with devins videos too and usually don't find his too long. I think there should have been a shot of the dj earlier in the video coz he felt like he was 'introduced late' if that makes sense.

The focus was very wide and the narrower you can get (with the action still in focus) the cooler it will look :)

I've just made a similar video myself only on Tuesday, but a parkour one in what I guess you would say is a devin style. It was done with the Steadicam Merlin and I would post it here for comparison but I'm trying to get more footage still.

This video will be released 12 hours after I make this post as it is on a scheduled upload, so if you want you could come back later, at the end of this video is a few seconds of the parkour video if you are interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdc6SqO3htU

A: the camera spends WAAAAAY too much time tilted to the right.
Can't tell if it's a setting or if you just like to run around to the left a whole lot, but almost all of this has a right horizon tilt up.
Maintain some balance.

B: Too many backs of people.
I know this is a toughy to overcome because it often means you have to interrupt or interfere with the normal flow of action between people.
It is much easier to document action from the periphery, but you gotta get in the middle of that action MORE.

C: Needs more shots of the honeys!
'Nuff said. :devil::yes:

Back