$1000, Executive Producer credit

Maybe $100 you give them an "associate producer" credit.

With ten associate producers, your movie will be finished.

Or get a quick part-time job.

Minimum wage is around 8 dollars, so work at mcdonald's for 125 hours (More than that, because of taxes) Then quit (Make sure you squirt ketchup on the customers, upon quitting... not enough people make a scene these days when they quit their jobs)

If complete strangers weren't donating money to films then Kickstarter and Indiegogo would not work. Granted $1,000 is a lot for a donation, but a simple google search provides countless examples of it happening.

Kickstarter and other crowd funding sites are well known as "Friends and family" funding. This is typically true until you've built up a following that you can ask instead. This isn't meant to be an absolute rule, who knows, you could be the marketing savant which is the exception to the rule.

Would I personally pay $1,000 for an EP credit on an indie film? No, because I'm broke. But if I were new to the film industry and dying to jump right in and I had a lot of extra cash, I'd gladly take an EP credit on a film that had a great shot at getting into a big festival. The experience alone would be worth it.

Have you donated even $1 to a film?

I appreciate the advice a lot of you have given me, but please don't try to discourage me from trying to get help for my film.

No one is discouraging you. We encourage you to continue to try. Most of these posts are to do with the reality of what you're asking, which is usually a combination of the perceived quality of the work and the lack of basic understanding of raising finance.... You go where the money is. What makes you think that a bunch of broke, debt laden filmmakers are in a position to donate money to your film, and even if they are, that they'd prefer to donate to your film rather than invest in their own film.

Good luck.

I donated $2 each for a 'Monsters' and 'Let The Right One In' DVDs a few months ago.

Does that count? :lol:

MSM, don't be discouraged or even daunted in securing completion funds, which is essentially what you're seeking.
Read this post and see if some of this applies to your situation, I believe it does: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=314381#post314381

That said, and this doesn't do you much good at this stage in your project's development, I'm mostly throwing this in as a warning to others, but IDEALLY you should have cultivated a fan base from the get go that you could keep coming back to to tap for additional funds.

Filmmaking
is not
a meritocracy.

Film it
and they will come
is
a big fat lie!

If financing a film was as easy as going on an online forum, asking for $1000 for a credit, and never having to meet that person - there would be a lot more feature films.

There's barely a chance that that will happen.

I never said someone donating $1,000 to my film would never get to meet me. If they are local to LA I'd actually prefer to meet them first. Moreover, since my film is already basically done, they would have the unique opportunity to watch the film before committing. I have a private Vimeo link for just such an occasion. It's a better deal than blindly investing in a kickstarter campaign.

Also, I'm not new to this forum, so believe me, I understand most of the members here are also broke filmmakers scraping every penny for their own projects, which is why I said this offer is not for everyone. BUT this forum also has a very high traffic ranking because of google searches and there's a very real possibility someone who is looking for an offer just like this could find it. Doesn't hurt to try.

I'm sorry you felt I was trying to discourage you. My intent was to
add a touch of reality. Sometimes that helps some some people
focus their efforts. You know your target; new to the film industry
with a lot of extra cash. Go for it!

You didn't ask for advice and I gave some. I apologize. Won't happen
again.

For the record, I wasn't referring to your post. I did quote it, but only so the next quote made sense in context. I'll admit I got a little defensive in this thread, but despite all the help/encouragement I've received over the last 2 years here, I've gotten and equal amount of negativity/condescension.

Or get a quick part-time job.

Just got hired at a restaurant last week. I just feel a little bit bad that I'll have to quit in a few months because I'll be traveling to promote the film :)

Have you donated even $1 to a film?

yes.

this sounds very judgmental

don't be discouraged or even daunted in securing completion funds, which is essentially what you're seeking.
Read this post and see if some of this applies to your situation, I believe it does: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=314381#post314381

Great post, thanks for that. I actually just had a conversation with the head programmer at sxsw last week and we talked about that same thing. The funny thing is if my film gets accepted to a major festival I will probably end up spending more on getting it ready for screening/promotion than I did on the entire production. Crowd funding may become necessary at that point, but personally I'd rather build a relationship with some interested private parties if I can.

Last edited:
Back