Movies for Sick Days

Called in sick from work today for the first time in I-can't-remember-when. I kinda feel like a kid staying home from school, I had a few films that I would always watch when I was sick and had the house to myself.

It got me thinking, what are your favorite/go-to sick-day movies?

Here's mine:

Swiss Family Robinsons
To Be or Not To Be (1983)
Bert Rigby, You're a Fool

I know there's more but that's all that's coming to my cloudy, congested mind at the moment :)

Today I think I'm gonna pull out my copy of Swiss Family Robinsons.

Cinematic comfort food! I love it! For me, probably Legend, The Princess Bride, Amelie, Jacob's Ladder, Hellraiser or a Twin Peaks marathon. All films I get a little nostalgic for and can watch over and over. Less nostalgic, I might be tempted to switch out Twin Peaks for a Pushing Daisies marathon. Or Firefly; I never get sick of that, and that would make a good long sick day!

For some odd reason, I'll watch military / political movies when I'm sick, like "Hunt for Red October" or "Thirteen Days." Or really bad horror films, like "Legend of Boggy Creek."

scifi's Children of Dune..awsome mini serise!!! you got to see it!
Endless Summer and Endless Summer II
Riding Giants <the cinamatography is simply amazing in this Docu....also make sure you watch it in surroundsound with the sound up, trust me!

Last edited:
Waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy back when, when TV only came over via antennae, I had a very bad case of the flu; I was about nine or ten, I guess. I got into noire films; that's what was on the "Million Dollar Movie" in the afternoon (complete with "Gone With The Wind" theme) most times. I also remember seeing "Robinson Crusoe on Mars" and "War of the Worlds" which started my love of sci-fi.

Harry Potter.

Also Lord of the Rings, I like series when I'm poorly. As I am right now. Except all I've got is Middlemarch to read :(

Gotta do it: williy wonka, mary poppins, original dr. doolittle, any charlie brown movie, history of the world, bed knobs and broom sticks. Feel the same way when I'm really sick.

Whenever I'm too sick/depressed to get out of bed I watch something like The Royal Tenenbaums or Star Trek TNG. Something lacking in cynicism, usually.

Sean vetoed Swiss Family Robinsons (he was sick, too so I gave him one pocket veto). But we ended up watching City Slickers, which was super cheesy but fun. :P

The Boat That Rocked
Amelie
Man On Wire

Good choices. The Boat That Rocked (or Pirate Radio, as it was titled over here) was a really light fun movie. Amelie just can't be beat. Still need to see Man On Wire, though.

The Princess Bride

You know, I only saw this for the first time a couple years ago. I can't believe what I was missing out on as a child! It would totally have been a 'sick day movie.'

Waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy back when, when TV only came over via antennae, I had a very bad case of the flu; I was about nine or ten, I guess. I got into noire films; that's what was on the "Million Dollar Movie" in the afternoon (complete with "Gone With The Wind" theme) most times. I also remember seeing "Robinson Crusoe on Mars" and "War of the Worlds" which started my love of sci-fi.

What a lovely memory :) It's crazy the things you'll watch as a kid. The other thing I used to do when I was home sick was go through the movies in my parents bedroom trying to find the adult stuff I wasn't supposed to watch. Saw some weird stuff but was always disappointed that the titles were misleading (Bachelor Party, Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex *But Were Afraid to Ask :lol:)

Harry Potter.

Also Lord of the Rings, I like series when I'm poorly. As I am right now. Except all I've got is Middlemarch to read

Oh if only I could watch them again. I'm trying to wait at least another 6 months before I do that though.

You're spoiler has left me nonplussed :huh:

Gotta do it: williy wonka, mary poppins, original dr. doolittle, any charlie brown movie, history of the world, bed knobs and broom sticks. Feel the same way when I'm really sick.

Awesome list. The original Dr. Doolittle was definitely one of my 'sick day movies.' My parents had a bunch of those old live-action Disney movies from the 60's on tape, they were definitely a go-to. Also: The Ugly Dachshund, Blackbeard's Ghost, The Ghost and Mr. Chicken. And Mel Brooks is always a great option.

Star Trek TNG

:yes:

For some odd reason, I'll watch military / political movies when I'm sick, like "Hunt for Red October" or "Thirteen Days." Or really bad horror films, like "Legend of Boggy Creek."
Yeah, for no rational reason I do the same.
Where Eagles Dare & The Guns of Navarone
Both are clean and simple.

Alternates:
Blade Runner
Monty Python's Holy Grail
Gattaca

I'm stunned by all the AmeliƩ watchers. Beautiful story.

Back