• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What makes a history film great and attractive?

I was thinking about writing a Persian history-fiction short film. I didn't, because I found no one to direct yet. To be honest, I asked one, but got no response yet.
I thought really a bit, but this question came out to my mind. What does make a history movie so great? Which parts of history are nice? Is it about cloths? Is it about a particular time in history? Or it doesn't matter, all history movies are the same value?

Thanks!

What does make a history movie so great?
It's the same as most films. When they have the attention of and connect with an audience.

all history movies are the same value?
Not even close. Take for instance, a film about the history of Trump is going to be worth more than the history of h44's filming career.

Well, so, no part of history differs?

I am looking for a free screenplay formatting software which supports Right to Left Languages. Any suggestion?

Thanks!

I was thinking about writing a Persian history-fiction short film. I didn't, because I found no one to direct yet.

Write it anyway. At least get the outline and the beats together, and a first run at the important scenes. That way if the right budget comes along you have something to pitch and you can write around the budget.

Oh, is it a period piece (it takes place during a specific time in history; i.e. "Casablanca") or a historical fiction (the characters take part in a specific historical event; i.e. the D-Day landing of "Saving Private Ryan")?

Write it anyway. At least get the outline and the beats together, and a first run at the important scenes. That way if the right budget comes along you have something to pitch and you can write around the budget.

Oh, is it a period piece (it takes place during a specific time in history; i.e. "Casablanca") or a historical fiction (the characters take part in a specific historical event; i.e. the D-Day landing of "Saving Private Ryan")?

I like to write a story which is fiction part and of course nice scenes for real places and real people...
Think of it more and then write...

Thanks!

I admit in grade school whenever we were forced to watch historical films/historically "inspired" films, our entire class erupted in groans. So your main focus needs to be not just the accuracy of the historical content itself that you are exploring, but making it relevant and interesting to modern audiences. And imo one of the best ways to do that is to focus on the human aspect of it. No matter what decade/century you are in, no matter what your race, culture, geographic location, etc... as human beings we all share some common universal (timeless) traits, fears, emotions and struggles. So make your story about the individual people involved in the historical event/setting you're writing about. It is easier for an audience to relate and get engaged by characters who feel like real human beings that they can relate to on some level, (instead of just nameless faces and statistics plucked out of a history book). Humanity (in its struggles, triumphs and spirit) is timeless.

1) No serious director will say yes to directing a non existing script.
So unless you write it, you will not find a director.

2) What do you like about historical movies?
I think part of the appeal is submersion in a different world than today.
Another part is the relief that we no longer live in that era.
The rest is really all about story and execution.
In every genre there are good and bad movies.

I was thinking about writing a Persian history-fiction short film. I didn't, because I found no one to direct yet. To be honest, I asked one, but got no response yet.
I thought really a bit, but this question came out to my mind. What does make a history movie so great? Which parts of history are nice? Is it about cloths? Is it about a particular time in history? Or it doesn't matter, all history movies are the same value?

What makes a history movie so great is the same reason why any movie is great. It's gotta have a plot that's driven by conflict with some sort of point that moves within some sort of structure. It's gotta have characters that are understandable, and it's gotta have action and dialogue that's interesting and believable.

I think your problem is one of two things. Either A. Your story sucks (no offense) or B. Your story is great, but it's too expensive and complicated for the directors you reached out to, to make.

Historical films have historically been pricey and they continue to be pricey even to this day. Even though it's a short, you're still talking about major wardrobe costs, set designing, locations that fit the time period, as well as expert advice on how people lived and behaved back then (unless you're the expert and if that's the case, you better be a scholar).

It's very well possible that no one wants to make your short because it's just too costly. I remember when I wrote a cheap contemporary short....The damn thing cost over 20k to make! Films are costly and any director reading a short will factor the price, so you may want to consider either down-sizing or choosing a more modern piece.

It is simple. Characters make these movies great!

My best advice to you is to write the screenplay before finding anyone to produce or direct.

Happy writing.

The problem is That it won't be international, I don't know guys in Iran, although, I am living inside Iran. And I think that more pro ones don't trust me easily.. Anyways, I am thinking...

Thanks!

And I think that more pro ones don't trust me easily..

The more pro filmmakers in Iran will never even have the opportunity
to trust you because you will not write a screenplay. Time to stop
thinking about writing a Persian history-fiction short film and write
one.

You know this works because Steven Spielberg saw your writings and
told you your were very smart even compared to Hollywood writers.
You are the ONLY writer posting here who as has Steven Spielberg
read and comment on your writing. You must have some talent. Now
use that talent to write a screenplay. Then when you contact a director
he will respond.

So, I think I write something can help me. My great grandma was Jewish, as they have Hebrew names and said came to Iran from abroad, though, its source is certainly an Arabic country probably Iraq, we thought by now they came from India, because they were darker skin and said so, at least, many thought so about them. Anyways, they knew Arabic and had native understanding (and I think Hebrew that well too). They had Jewish friends, too, one was friend and medicine teacher of my grandpa - Jewish from Azerbaijan.
Additionally, my mom said that her grandpa told my grandpa real name of her is Eve, common Jewish name, in addition to my mom's name is Arabic version of Esther chosen by her.
Also, they chose an Arabic name (also common among Arabs) for woman, and other tricks show they knew that Mirza (Bahai faith founder) was a plot and Jews knew it. My mom's aunt name is Omme, and another is Doriye, and etc. Some knew I am Jewish in USA, but I didn't know it.
Maybe it was risk of World wars that my family chose to migrate and hide their Jewish identity. So if it is true, I am kind of great grandson of a Jewish survivor of Holocaust. Now, my family think they are Muslim and we have root in Iran and India. Though, my mom said her grandma knew nothing of Indian, and as I searched, there are many in Iran came form Iraq did it hid they are Jew. One of my relatives changed his surname after Islamic revolution in Iran as it looked like Jewish chosen surname. And the only synagogue in the city they lived got closed after Iran's Islamic revolution. And being in an Islamic country, my relatives were really in battles. I was years friend with a rabbi, and like to be like my family relatives of Jewish, but my battle is even greater. My facebook is very Jewish, it is one reason I can't be in contact with anyone making film in Iran, even if I want to. One Israeli Persian director is my friend, I wanted to go to Israel, as it is good in cs, but my family fears govt of Iran. I will not give up, although...
I want to write short film of a wise man and a shepherd, one is Jewish and the other Muslim, one thinks Islam is true and best and the other thinks so about Judaism. In that time, the shepherd brings and returns one sheep for sacrifice purposes to king. But in 4th day/night, the eclipse happens and the wise Muslim man says it happens when earth is between moon and sun and the Jewish says it is G-d's anger. Some I write and you give idea and say what to do:
Why did you bring a sheep?
I am a shepherd and my life passes so, I want to grant it to the king, majesty.
Why did you think king needs your sacrifice?
I am Jewish and it is our tradition to sacrifice because of G-d. I hope G-d will forgive our sins so.
I know you are Jewish.
What is in your mind man?
Nothing.
But you are a famous wise-man, and I am a simple shepherd.
I am afraid to say that king doesn't need a sacrifice from you. In addition, I think that such sheep is lucky to live more.
But that's ...
Kill it and share it to poor.
The shepherd doesn't say anything and goes home hopelessly.
The next day he comes back and says that he dreamed that Moses is sad and G-d is discontent.
He says they can't eat a sheep which is not killed according to Shariah....

And etc....

How do you think by now?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think the wall between your latent unconcious mind and your contious mind might be a bit thin.
You need to learn to structure your writings more clearly to make more sense :)

I think the wall between your latent unconcious mind and your contious mind might be a bit thin.
You need to learn to structure your writings more clearly to make more sense :)

For me, picture is more important than traditional story. Anyways, for example, if I write the story with better pictures, like suppose a man with traditional Persian clothing stands beside a candle and etc., it would be harder to director for non-pro, so, I try to have some investment in words rather than visual.

Making new great thing is challenging to me, it needs deeper thinking..

Anyways, thanks for the advice, though, I don't know what you meant exactly..

Thanks!

For me, picture is more important than traditional story. Anyways, for example, if I write the story with better pictures, like suppose a man with traditional Persian clothing stands beside a candle and etc., it would be harder to director for non-pro, so, I try to have some investment in words rather than visual.

Making new great thing is challenging to me, it needs deeper thinking..

Anyways, thanks for the advice, though, I don't know what you meant exactly..

Thanks!

I noticed you don't understand what I mean.
I meant that you write your posts in here as a stream of words as they appear in your head.
That makes it very hard and tiresome to read. And therefore it makes it harder for others to understand what you are trying to say. And thus they won't take you very serious, because your are supplying them with an unconsious stream of words.
You need to learn to structure everything you write in a more clear way if you want people to understand you and believe in you.

Since drinking is not allowed for most people in Iran, you probably don't understand this metaphor, but make sure you don't sound like a drunk uncle on a birthday party who just can't stop producing words. :-p

Back