Apocalypse Now, the video game.

The movie was iconic, but it didn't make a lot of money, as far as I know, so I'm not sure a video game would make money either.

That said, this does show the iconic power of film - if you make it big, you and your product will be world famous. And that's why I'm so inspired.

Certainly not the first way after the fact video game adaptation; off the top of my head, Scarface, The Warriors and The Godfather all had adaptions long after the films were released (all of those in 2005-6). However, Coppola being involved is pretty unusual, and makes me way more interested in the project. Doubly so given that they're branding it as a "psychological horror" and all about the way people interact with you based on the choices you made. They could have made a standard shooter, approaching the source material on a superficial level. I appreciate using video games to tell a story in a different way than a film, but still retaining the thematic core (I could babble on about my fantasy idea for a Hellraiser game)

I don't know if there are many (or any) directors who moved from film to video games, but it seems like there's a lot of opportunity there.

Back