Something I noticed about Paul Thomas Anderson

For starters, I'm not trying to criticize Paul. I actually think he's the best writer/director working today. But there's something that I noticed he does a lot.

It involves the way he concludes his films. Generally, the main character reunites with another character or group towards the end.

I'm going to try and avoid spoilers, but fair warning.

In Boogie Nights, Dirk Reunites with Jack (earlier in the film they parted angry with each other)

In Punch Drunk Love, Adam Sandler's character reunites with Lena (earlier in the film he left her to chase Philip Seymour Hoffman's character)

In There Will Be Blood, Daniel Reunites with his son (earlier his son had married and left Daniel iirc). Then, a scene follows where he reunites with Eli (Not sure if reunite is the right word here :lol:)

In The Master, Joaquin Phoenix's character reunites with Hoffman's character (earlier, Joaquin ran away because he felt that Dodd was manipulating him)

Also of note, there is a scene in Magnolia where Tom Cruise's character reunites with his father. This doesn't end the film, but it's still relevant.

What are your thoughts on this? Is this just the way that Anderson structures his films?

Its the way most other films work too. Maybe it's a bit more visible to you in Anderson's films, but generally the finale is considered where the A and B stories merge to wrap up the story. A lot of times this means a reunuion of sorts.

Its the way most other films work too. Maybe it's a bit more visible to you in Anderson's films, but generally the finale is considered where the A and B stories merge to wrap up the story. A lot of times this means a reunion of sorts.

I'm not talking about a merging of A and B stories. Often, when the character leaves the group, said group is scarcely mentioned until the reunion happens.

And, most of the film usually has the protagonist with the group. It's not until perhaps the last quarter of the movie that they break apart.

I might be wrong, but I don't think that's exactly the same as what you've cited.

Writers and directors are people with personal points of view. When John Lassiter was running Pixar pre-Disney many of his films were about fathers or father figures or the search for a father figure. Spielberg has a penchant for war related films, not exclusively, but a notable percentage. I'm sure that if you think about it you will find many writers and directors have a tendency of some sort.

Back