• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Your favorite soundtrack?

Just wondering, as directors, what are your favorite film soundtracks?
As a fan of film music, I'm curious as to what different people like (and hate! lol)....

Cheers,
D.

Just talking collections of songs...

My favorite is probably from a rather obscure film, I suppose, called The Center of the World. I don't know. It just has a lot of cool tunes on it. Great mix.

The Vanilla Sky collection is pretty amazing.

Mangolia is great. Turned me on to Aimee Mann.

Big Night. I don't care for every song on it. I don't love every Louis Prima song. But I do love some of them. Prima's best is the best, man. =)

Lost Highway has some very cool stuff on it.

The Matrix collection has its moments.

As does the Natural Born Killers collection.

And I agree with Josh that The Crow collection is pretty nice. It has one of the coolest NIN songs on it: his cover of "Dead Souls." Love it.

Last edited:
My fave of the past couple of years is still X-MEN: FIRST CLASS, by Henry Jackman. Here's what I bought recently:

ALIEN: the complete score. 2 CDs containing 47 tracks for over two hours of music. The Bonus and Alternate cues are very cool.

AlienCD.jpg

Supposedly, there are only 1500 CDs of the OUTLANDER score, so I grabbed one. The haunting (especially during the alien planet flashbacks) music is a big part as to why this is one of my favorite movies - not a huge flick, but one I watch over and over with interest.

EDGE OF TOMORROW is a fantastic score to go with a fantastic movie. I didn't really notice the music, until the 3rd time I saw it, and then I had to have it! Big, heavy handed strings and horns, along with some very cool synth effects. This isn't boring classical music, but big, fun orchestral "movie music."

OutlanderCD.jpg

GRAVITY is just okay, for me. I've only listened two or three times. I really liked the initial destruction path music, which someone linked to on a different thread. But, the rest of it is kind of soft and repetitive.

EUROPA REPORT sounds like it was scored by John Carpenter! I about fell out of my chair when I first watched this movie. I was hooked on the "bum bum bum bum" synth lines, which are supplemented by Bear (WALKING DEAD) McCreary's string orchestra.

THE KEEP - This must be from the original, very limited release, where much of the music was not used in the movie; only a portion of what is heard here was heard in the film. I was disappointed, as this came direct from Germany. There have been bootlegs released, containing the more amazing cues. In fact, you can download many of those tracks on THIS site. Scroll down, just a bit, to the tracks, starting with "Stormbringer" and "Dinu Pass."

I love soundtracks that make use of other pieces of music because I think that *use* of music is very important.

The Kill Billl soundtrack is terrific in that regard.

But, overall, I am partial to the boogie nights soundtrack, 2001 soundtrack and Pulp Fiction soundtrack, among others.

EDIT: Oh, how could I forget how much I love the soundtracks to Alien and Blade Runner. I'm not a huge Ridley Scott fan, but both of those are terrific

And any number of Italian films.
And, new wave films had a tenancy to have good (very french) soundtracks.

Last edited:
I've started listening to sound tracks now instead of other music.
trying to learn the names of composes, I wish I wasn't so terrible with names

so lets see.. since i posted last in this thread, I've listened to LOTR sound track now about 12 times. It's fantastic. The hobbit one is not quite as good but still has some great stuff in there.

Wasn't impressed with the x-men first class track.

I did enjoy conan the barbarian

Wow. Yes. Thank you for reminding me of Light Sleeper. I remember it being a good film. I'd like to re-watch it now. And I didn't realize there was a nice Michael Been song attached to it.

Just re-watched Oblivion and thought the score was very nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjgJC3hL1eE

Or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYD_U1CChew

Not sure which sounds better.

I don't know, say what you will about the film (I think it's quite good), but in any case, the score is top-notch.

Just re-watched Oblivion and thought the score was very nice.

Yep! Nice score on OBLIVION. I love that the director, Joseph Kosinski, seems like a Michael Mann type of guy, where the score is a huge part of the experience. Much like how Mann sought out the relatively new Tangerine Dream (for THIEF and THE KEEP), Kosinski seeks out special talent (without much soundtrack experience) for his movies - Daft Punk, for TRON: LEGACY and M83, for OBLIVION.

Back