movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Looper 9/10
Really enjoyed this. Great acting on the part of JGL, and some great call backs to old Bruce Willis movies. Compelling storytelling. Classic and beautiful cinematography. This is what Sci-Fi should be in my opinion.

The Ward. Not so bad. Maybe a 5.

I Sell the Dead. Low budget, flawed, but has a thin sort of charm. Maybe a 5.5...for its charm.

Super 8. The second watch. I think I saw it the first time in the theater. I think I might have liked it better this time. But, those lens flares do get tiresome. Maybe just a little overused?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHqjmlM3kxs&feature=player_embedded

Huff Post: 'Lens Flare: The Movie' Is The Perfect J.J. Abrams Parody

Last edited:
What the hell is wrong with JJ Abrams? Is he partially retarded? Will someone explain his ridiculous lens flare obsession?

:lol: I know! I was just wondering: isn't there anyone at the studio or maybe a producer or someone who might ask him to cool it on the lens flares?

"Seven Psychopaths"

I loved "In Bruges" - my favorite film of 2008 - and this is, so far, my
fav of 2012. Seems I am a fan of Martin McDonagh. Crazy funny and
now my third favorite movie about a screenwriter. I love that Walken
now fully owns the crazy old man role he was born to play.

"Serenity"-as advised by someone getting me into Firefly ( I watched the series first)

Joss had somet interesting ideas here with the show, I enjoyed the film, and a few points of it made me wonder what could have been-8/10.

And a quick hi to everyone-appeared from my groundhog hole again :)

Looper 9/10
Really enjoyed this. Great acting on the part of JGL, and some great call backs to old Bruce Willis movies. Compelling storytelling. Classic and beautiful cinematography. This is what Sci-Fi should be in my opinion.

I give it a 7/10. The story was good, it was well acted and filmed, but it was just an action flick. It fell terribly short on the sci-fi promise for me.
They completely blew off the entire paradox discussion. They refused to address the paradoxes that they created with the plot. The justification in the movie was that the concept was just too complicated. Lame.

Here Comes the Boom 8/10. It was exactly what it is billed as, a comedy about a high school teacher who becomes an MMA fighter. It delivers on the comedy and the violence.

Punch-Drunk Love. Great. Big fan of Paul Thomas Anderson's films. But, I shied away from this for too long. Turns out Adam Sandler was very well cast for and in fact was stellar for this role. How about an 8.5 or a 9?

Also noticed that Lost in La Mancha is on Netflix. So, if you have Netflix, don't miss it.

Smiley - 3/10

I admire the background of this project, Youtube, etc (plus, just any self-financed, low budget, indie movie, that secures distribution!) and was hoping it'd be good, but in the end this was a disappointment -- the story, the acting... terrible!! :no:

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter - 6.5/10

Was expecting to hate this (I cant stand silly titles!), but was pleasantly surprised -- plus, I think Dominic Cooper is a brilliant actor... :pop:

Frankenweenie (2012)

This movie is both funny and scary. Loved the references to the 1950s horror movies. Best animated movie of the year this far. One of the best Tim Burton movies. Black and white, stop-motion, 3D. Great combo.

8.5/10

Last edited:
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World.

Wow. Just loved it. The best film I've seen in what seems like a long time. No, it's not a straight comedy, thank God. It's a comedy-drama. Had me cryin like a baby. If this film doesn't move you, better check your pulse, make sure you have one. =)

55/57 on Rotten Tomatoes. Grrr, they're all wrong, wrong, I tell ya! =P

Last edited:
The Dark Knight Rises - 7/10 : I guess there was just no topping Heath Ledger & co in the previous film. Also felt very repetitive, with new villain & mass hostage crisis. Again. Also felt the epic hostage-taking of Gotham itself was kinda glossed over, time-wise. Loved the Robin intro. Final 20 seconds of the film should have been cut.

Oliver Twisted : by forum member Dan Conroy. I'll be sending him some notes and feedback. A new take on Dicken's tale Oliver Twist, about an orphaned lad getting wrapped up with an unsavory crowd. Don't think it's technically released yet, so no score yet.

I love indie flicks. :cool:

The Eclipse

5. I have to subtract a couple points for the ghost stuff. It's too bad. I think it probably could have been an exquisite drama minus the ghost stuff, jump-scares, etc. Had they discarded the ghost stuff, who knows what this film might have been. But, it's beautifully shot and acted apart from that. I like CiarĂ¡n Hinds a lot (and the rest of the cast). I'd like to see him in more films.

Last edited:
Lost In Translation - 7/10 Great movie... it gets an extra point because my favorite moment is when Bill is trapped on the exercise machine that he can't turn off... funny as hell, yet they didn't stay too long with it like many comedies would take advantage of. Other moments of flawless comedic timing, such as the photoshoot, where Bill kept asking if he could be allowed to drink real whiskey.

Back