movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Hobo with a Shotgun - 7.5/10 - pretty good B movie, had a couple funny lines

Dark Days - 8/10 - a very good documentary that, surprisingly, had a happy ending

Harsh Times(2005) 7/10

I would have given it an 8 except that the ending ruined it in my opinion. The film was maybe a bit dragged out also. But still an enjoyable little film by the man who wrote Training Day, David Ayer.

Dredd -- B+

It's definitely not a thinking-man's sci-fi. It's just a big, dumb action-flick. A futuristic shoot-em-up. But I think the dystopian world they created is almost palpable, and as a straight-up action movie, I thought it was pretty badass!

Looper - A

I simply love the writing. The middle-half of the movie was a bit too trite/cliche, but as a whole, I think the plotting is brilliant. And just when I thought I had the whole movie figured out...surprise, gut-punch!

Total Recall (2012) - 7/10

Much better than I was expecting. A chase film from start to end. The cityscapes were incredible. A few weird anachronisms. Great nods to the first, without being the same film. The only weak moment that stood out was Mathias - just seemed out of place, when he gave his speech to Quaid. Trying to funnel the mystic mumbo-jumbo too much, and couldn't sell it. But overall, I was very happy with this.

Marvel's The Avengers (dammit, 3D version again!) - 4/10

Couldn't make the 9:30 2D screening, so sucky 3D it was. The opening setup with the Tesseract being stolen was fairly clumsy. Great sfx & cgi, don't get me wrong, but if one had no familiarity with a lot of the previous films then stuff ain't gonna make sense. Great character relationships developed. Captain America very underused. (Hope he has a sequel to his own film coming out) Knocking off many points for lame 3D. There was one... just one... shot that gave me that whoah! moment. The sooner the studios knock it off with the 3D nonsense, the better.

Can't pass up an opportunity to plug my Marvel's Avengers plushies, mind you. Limited supply. Special promotion. Details here. :lol:

Marvel's The Avengers (dammit, 3D version again!) - 4/10

Couldn't make the 9:30 2D screening, so sucky 3D it was. The opening setup with the Tesseract being stolen was fairly clumsy. Great sfx & cgi, don't get me wrong, but if one had no familiarity with a lot of the previous films then stuff ain't gonna make sense. Great character relationships developed. Captain America very underused. (Hope he has a sequel to his own film coming out) Knocking off many points for lame 3D. There was one... just one... shot that gave me that whoah! moment. The sooner the studios knock it off with the 3D nonsense, the better.

Can't pass up an opportunity to plug my Marvel's Avengers plushies, mind you. Limited supply. Special promotion. Details here. :lol:

While I certainly wouldn't give Avengers as low a rating as you did, I do agree with many of your points. My wife - who has a casual interest in these movies and almost no memory of the preceding films - stopped watching halfway through. Me, I've seen it 3 times now - but then I'm a total geek (she keeps me grounded).

To Whedon's credit, however, he kept the plot suitably simple, which allowed the characters to shine, and gave people a little less to have to keep track of.

As for the Hulk, while I appreciate the tweaking of the character and enjoyed Ruffalo's performance, I don't know how they're going to go forward with the Hulk without going backward. He's essentially at the end of his character arc - in full control of the raging beast within.

Just caught Dungeons & Dragons: Book of Vile Darkness. Not a good movie, by any stretch, but a lot of fun if you've played a lot of D&D. Follows an evil adventuring party, which was certainly neat to see, but a couple of the characters fall into the trap of being evil at the expense of character development (or common sense). Still, magic, a dragon, some non-humans, lots of swordplay, and lore taken straight from the game sourcebooks. Was supposed to be made for SyFy, but I'm guessing it got shelved for a fair bit of sex/nudity.

All and all, about on par with the second movie (and WAY better than the first). If you are a fantasy junkie (I definitely am), or played a lot of D&D, you'll probably enjoy it. If not, well, you probably wouldn't watch this anyway.

Here are some recent films I've watched:

Raiders of the Lost Ark on Blu-Ray

What can I say about this film that hasn't been said before? It is a great film, lots of great character moments, exciting scenes of action and adventure, great music, wonderful sound effects, brilliant acting, direction, screenplay, photography, editing and the list goes on and on and on.

Really enjoyed seeing this on Blu-Ray. Unfortunately not able to watch the Imax version because it wasn't released here in Australia. But it was awesome to see this with better picture quality and sound.

10/10

The Golden Child

This is one of those films starring Eddie Murphy that, for those who only started watching him in his family friendly mode, is what you would expect from Eddie Murphy. It's not a great film but it is entertaining, funny and has some good moments.

It is similar to Big Trouble in Little China, which of the two is definitely the superior film but it does have a different tone. The similarities are more about the fact it's dealing with mysticism and supernatural elements as well as sharing three actors.

8/10

The Hunger Games

I haven't read the book so I can only go on what was in the film. I thought that the build up was too long for them to get to the actual games. Jennifer Lawrence does a good job as one of the leads. While watching I couldn't help but think she may be a good candidate to play Lara Croft if they end up making a Tomb Raider reboot.

But overall the film was entertaining, had some good moments of tension and wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

7/10

TUCKER & DALE VS. EVIL - 7.5/10
Fairly nice. You should see this.

CABIN IN THE WOODS - 7.5/10
Worth watching at least once.

SILENT HOUSE - 5/10
Well... I watched it!
Interesting use of a single location, minimal cast, and what's surely several cleverly stitched sequences into what looks like one long take. Nice stage acting skills.
Too bad it's all so missable.

Oh, and I watched BATTLESHIP.
The CGI is nice. The story lame. If you liked SKYLINE you'll like BATTLESHIP. Apalling acting in both.

Last edited:
Hellraiser. Maybe a 6.

Funny about time and experience. When I saw this as a kid it was pretty shocking, scary, disturbing, challenging, and profound. Now, it's sort of quaint. Age, and, no doubt, exposure to the internet, etc.

Okay, conceptually, it's still pretty much those things. And I really like the idea of the box handed off etc. Structurally, the story is quite solid and well put together, I think.

This is set in England. So, why do so many characters seem to have American accents?

Here's the thing about horror. Even if you're not thrilled about it, back then, when there was a dearth of scifi and fantasy films, it was pretty much horror that offered us any kind of visual imagination.

I think that's changed largely because of the advances in SFX, particularly CGIs, allowing filmmakers' visions to be realized quite fully and in turn allowing scifi and fantasy to supercede horror in the visually stimulating and imaginative departments.

Last edited:
The Apparition: One step up from Apollo 18, and just below Chernobyl Diaries... holy moly, this is one terrible movie. I'd seen a trailer for something about a haunted 16mm film reel (Candyman / Bloody Mary style - forgot title) and thought this film was it, when I swung by the cinema. Well, apparently that's a different flick and I ended up in this disaster of a not-found-footage-but-sneaking-in-found-footage-anyway movie.

Dialogue is atrocious. Acting is atrocious. Story is atrocious.

Who the heck greenlights this s**t and gets to keep their job? 17 million bux to make this steamer?! :eek:

If you're interested in how films with minimal cast can be put together, maybe give it a whirl. Looking for entertainment? Pass.

Looper - 8/10
Phenomenal. The plot unfolds so cleanly it's unbelievable, the direction is outstanding and the acting is top-notch all around. Finally, another time travel film joins the ranks of 12 Monkeys and the first two Terminator films, in which the characters are more interesting than the action, but yet the action is still insanely interesting.

Breakfast Club - A -Seen it about a million times since it's one of my favorites, but technically the last movie I watched. The awesomely overacted scenes are the best.

Frankenweenie - B- -Fantastic homage to older monster movies. Best work to come from Burton since Sweeney Tood. But from what I understand, it's actually a remake of an old short of his? Anyway, loads of fun.

Snow white and the huntsman - Blu-ray 7/10

Hunger Games - iPad 7/10

batman begins - blu-ray 6/10

Dark Knight - blu-ray 7/10

although i watched it in the cinema not long after its release

the dark knight rises - vue cinema 10/10

Rio -- blu-ray yes the animtion parrot thing 8/10 (for my daughter of course ;) )

Memento - Blu-ray 8/10

I'd seen a trailer for something about a haunted 16mm film reel (Candyman / Bloody Mary style - forgot title) and thought this film was it, when I swung by the cinema.

I believe you were thinking of Sinister, which is the most recent movie I've seen, and it's scary as shit! It's also very aptly named. It kinda robs us of a proper third act, otherwise I don't think it could've been any better. The ending was enough for me to drop it down to a B+, but I liked the first and second acts enough that I simply have to recommend this movie to any fan of the genre.

Back