A glimmer of good news for DVD

From a distributors point of view (which where I work my day job) this is at least a tiny bit of sunshine.

Report: Studio to expand delay on Netflix, Redbox

By Andrew Wallenstein

Warner Bros. is ending its exclusive day-and-date arrangement to provide films to Blockbuster, which didn't have to adhere to the 28-day delay imposed on rival rental services Netflix and Redbox.
Warner Bros. Home Video president Kevin Tsujihara also indicated in an interview published Wednesday in the Financial Times, which first reported the deal's dissolution, that the studio will move to expand the delay to even more than 28 days once the studio's current terms with the companies expire at the end of the year.

Time Warner chief Jeff Bewkes discussed such a move a year ago during a conference call with analysts, during which he said, "so far the 28-day window has clearly been a success vs. no delay. The question of whether we ought to go longer is very much under scrutiny. It may well be a good idea."
Warner Bros. will no longer provide physical discs to Blockbuster, sources confirm to Variety. That suggests the retail chain will have to buy discs in order to continue providing day-and-date titles. Other studios, including Fox and Universal, are expected to follow suit.

Blockbuster had been touting the exception to the 28-day delay in its marketing materials as an advantage over competitors. The company renewed its exclusion from the delay with the studio in October 2010.
The cost of buying discs rather than getting them discounted from the studio will now weigh on Blockbuster's bottom line as well as that of Dish Network, which purchased the rental chain earlier this year.
The discount on inventory was a key factor in getting Netflix and Redbox to agree to the 28-day window.
Ironically, Blockbuster had a 28-day delay on new DVD and Blu-ray discs available through its Blockbuster Express kiosks, operated by NCR, that makes films available for rent for $1 a day. NCR began a major rollout of the blue rental boxes last year to compete with Redbox and create a much-needed revenue stream for Blockbuster, which was in the midst of a Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding. NCR licenses the Blockbuster brand from the rental chain.

The crackdown on availability of Blockbuster's rental titles comes as the major studios are re-emphasizing the value of owning DVDs via UltraViolet, a cloud-based system recently deployed for select titles that is set up to encourage purchasing movies, including WB's "Green Lantern" and "Horrible Bosses."
The 28-day delay is the way many majors give consumers the opportunity to purchase films before they can rent it because the former transaction drives higher profit margins. Reps for Warner Bros. and Dish declined to comment.

Good info, Gonzo~

Thanks for sharing.

Delays make the starvation for content across instant access platforms even greater, which opens a larger [still small, though] gap for smaller titles to slip through.

Blockbuster can't be too happy about losing that exclusive, though from the sounds of the article, it seems like a "needs of many outweigh needs of a few" type of discussion.

It will be interesting to see how the waves work outward from this decision, but yes for DVD format it is a glimmer of hope.

I can't believe they were EVER stupid enough to cut that deal with Blockbuster. Although they may have felt like they had to. The company I work for put Blockbuster on credit hold several years ago. Meaning they couldn't buy product from us. That's the function we serve and why the studios help keep us in business. As the distributor we take the credit risk. If Joe Bob's Video Stores goes belly up It's the distributor that will get stuck with the unpaid bill. It's not in a major studio's interests to be evaluating risk and extending credit to a retailer to buy product.

The studios are TRYING to create a situation that kind of hearkens back to the old "Rental vs Sell Through" days. For the first 28 days you can buy it at full retail. After 28 days you can rent it and probably buy it at a discounted price.

I can't believe they were EVER stupid enough to cut that deal with Blockbuster. Although they may have felt like they had to. The company I work for put Blockbuster on credit hold several years ago. Meaning they couldn't buy product from us. That's the function we serve and why the studios help keep us in business. As the distributor we take the credit risk. If Joe Bob's Video Stores goes belly up It's the distributor that will get stuck with the unpaid bill. It's not in a major studio's interests to be evaluating risk and extending credit to a retailer to buy product.

The studios are TRYING to create a situation that kind of hearkens back to the old "Rental vs Sell Through" days. For the first 28 days you can buy it at full retail. After 28 days you can rent it and probably buy it at a discounted price.

I worry that's just going to have more people go to bit torrent/streaming. I personally liked the idea of renting a movie and if I like it, I buy it. I will STILL do that-waiting a extra month is no big deal for me or people I know. I guess I don't have that crowd that HAS to watch a movie when it comes right out.

BTW-hopefully someone can educate me: When Future Shop IE does that discount of a new release in it's first three days before it goes to it's "Full" price, is that just Future Shop taking a haircut at the hope of selling more product (IE that they had to pay full price anyway, so it doesn't affect distributor)? I just wonder if that practice would have ANY effect on this new development

People sell at below wholesale all the time, usually to drive traffic. Walmart sells New Release DVD at a lower price that we can buy it directly from the studio. It's a convoluted thing involving discounts given one customer and not another, rebates, kick backs, all manner of creative accounting.

People sell at below wholesale all the time, usually to drive traffic. Walmart sells New Release DVD at a lower price that we can buy it directly from the studio. It's a convoluted thing involving discounts given one customer and not another, rebates, kick backs, all manner of creative accounting.

Thanks for heads up :)

As far "harkening back" as you mentioned, I don't know how well that strategy worked then, but in this current climate of "instant uploads", I suspect that it's not going to do as well as they hope in this day and age.

I worry that's just going to have more people go to bit torrent/streaming. I personally liked the idea of renting a movie and if I like it, I buy it. I will STILL do that-waiting a extra month is no big deal for me or people I know. I guess I don't have that crowd that HAS to watch a movie when it comes right out.

That's exactly what will happen in a lot of cases. We don't have video rental stores where I live. They just don't exist here anymore. We have a couple of Redboxes, but that's it. I have Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, and Vudu for watching movies. I've turned to Vudu for most new releases that I just can't wait for, and I occasionally buy a Blu-Ray at Walmart (the closest place for me to buy them, and that's an hour away) or via Amazon. But before we had access to Vudu and such on our TV, you better believe that pirating was a regular part of the way we watched content. It wasn't that we didn't want to pay for the movies or TV shows, it's that they simply weren't accessible any other way. Now that we have other convenient options, we buy.

And I'm sorry, but I'm not going to buy a Blu-Ray for $25 that I know I'm only going to watch once. Not going to happen. Sure, I'll pay $3-$5 to rent it, but I'm not going to buy it. I'm not made of money, and I already spend around $30/month on subscription services that give me enough legal content that I'll never run out of things to watch. Blu-Ray purchases are for movies I already know I love or will love (due to a favorite actor or director, already seeing it in the theater, etc.), not just because I want something to entertain me.

I've never (not even once) used a torrent, Redbox, Hulu, Amazon Prime, nor Blockbuster boxes. I still buy physical CDs of music I like as well as physical DVDs. I do, however, get DVDs from Netflix although their customer PR is a pile. I'd much rather own a DVD than stream on my laptop or cell phone.

I've never (not even once) used a torrent, Redbox, Hulu, Amazon Prime, nor Blockbuster boxes. I still buy physical CDs of music I like as well as physical DVDs. I do, however, get DVDs from Netflix although their customer PR is a pile. I'd much rather own a DVD than stream on my laptop or cell phone.

I'm with you..... but we are very quickly becoming the minority.

I stream everything. We don't even have cable anymore (well, technically we do because of our internet bundle, though we don't have it hooked up). I've even started regularly watching shows on my phone... :blush:

I stream everything. We don't even have cable anymore (well, technically we do because of our internet bundle, though we don't have it hooked up). I've even started regularly watching shows on my phone... :blush:

All I have is rabbit ears, and I rarely use them. Almost ALL of my home entertainment is via internet.

That being said, my DVD-buying habits haven't changed. I purchase all the movies that I really love. Though, that means I purchase only 1-3 new movies per year. :blush:

I don't watch live TV either. Netflix and Hulu (and vudu, but don't use it much) through my PS3. Streams in 1080 and way less commercials.

I do like owning Blu-Rays, but I hardly ever get them as a new release. I buy a lot of them when they drop to $10-15. Now it's Netflix streaming when I can, and a blockbuster pass when I can't.

Blockbuster's DVD mail service just changed to unlimited mail/store. You can trade what they ship you for anything in the store, movie or game, then trade that. Or drop it in the mail if you don't want to drive. It's only $15 a month. I live close to a blockbuster and have had the in-store pass for years. I have access to almost any movie I want to see a few minutes from home... I've swapped out 4 times in the same day once (sick day) haha.

I pay $35 a month for what feels like unlimited content. More than I need anyway. The 28 day thing sucks for me, but oh well.

Movies still get my money at the theater.

Count me in that club as well (except for the NetFlix part -- never given them a dime, either).

I probably buy 50 DVDs a year -- average of one per week. Since you can find them for $3-$5 apiece, why not? My wife and I are trying to keep you employed, Gonzo! :D

Last edited:
A lot of you youngsters probably don't even remember "Rental" and "Sell Through". They changed the model about 10 years ago away from this as they were pushing the DVD format (which is smaller and so easier to ship and warehouse).

A new film comes out, say Green Lantern. It would not be available on Cable or PPV, only on DVD. WHOLESALE price would be $59.95. The only people buying it at $59.95 are people who are bat shit crazy about the film and video stores who would buy hundreds of copies (for copy depth on their shelves) at $59.95. After a certain window dictated by the studio the price would go from "Rental" to "Sell Through" (and it would become available on cable) and the price would drop to say $14.95. Smaller titles (only 10 or 15 million box office or less, foreign films, etc...) NEVER came off rental. They remained $59.95.

Just a little history lesson. This is NOT the same, but it is an attempt to recreate a window where they can sell a title at a higher margin for a brief time before they drop the price.

And I'm sorry, but I'm not going to buy a Blu-Ray for $25 that I know I'm only going to watch once. Not going to happen. Sure, I'll pay $3-$5 to rent it, but I'm not going to buy it. I'm not made of money, and I already spend around $30/month on subscription services that give me enough legal content that I'll never run out of things to watch. Blu-Ray purchases are for movies I already know I love or will love (due to a favorite actor or director, already seeing it in the theater, etc.), not just because I want something to entertain me.

You're right, the studios like to blame piracy for all their woes, and yes, it's taking a chunk out of their DVD sales. BUT, let's look back at the last 10-15 years of consumer habits.

You have a credit card culture of people who went to Best Buy to upgrade their TVs once a cooler one came out. And to buy the latest gadgets. And to get all the new releases of crap blockbuster movies on blu-ray. Problem is, who can afford that? Consumers are tightening their belts now, and rightfully so. But one unfortunate victims of that is going to be DVD sales. Why buy something you can't afford that you'll only watch once or twice when you can rent or stream it.

The last holdouts (in my observation) are older people. They still buy the grandkids the new kids movie at Christmas. They still go to a brick and mortar and rent when the kids are coming over (thus Family Video being the only brick and mortar still building new stores).

The last holdouts (in my observation) are older people. They still buy the grandkids the new kids movie at Christmas. They still go to a brick and mortar and rent when the kids are coming over (thus Family Video being the only brick and mortar still building new stores).

Speaking as an "older" person, I can't even do that with kids that I know anymore. Everytime I ask them about a movie they want, they say "Oh, we watched it over at so and so's on their computer 2 months ago)

Kids now are seeing these films at times even before they arrive in theatre!

Back