tips for phsycological horror

For my Resident Evil fan film I want to explore the idea of what happens when a character that you've come to know has gone through too much. What happens when his mind begins to slip? What happens when there are too many "Bricks in his wall"? Yes, there still will be blood and action and fight scenes, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has any ideas or tips on how I can give the movie a silent hill 2-esc phsycological horror feeling to some moments. I have some ideas, but I'm interested in reading what other movie makers think.

They should suffer from sleep deprivation. When I watch those films I always think when do they sleep? And if they got the time then how could they fall asleep when mental things keep happening? And with sleep deprivation comes a load of other symptoms, like anxiety and hallucinations.

Hallucinations of both plausible (but mistaken) perceptions and varying, often escalating, scales of nonsensical events or visions.

Lost or unaccountable time.

Non-malicious behavior that is self-injurious or injurious to others as a detachment from reality.

Obsessive or repetitive behavior.

Neglect of previously valuable interests.

Rapid and severe mood swings upon insignificant provocation.

Paralysis of response or indifference to obvious threats.

I think part of the trick too is walking that thin line for the audience that gets the audience thinking "okay, that COULD happen in his real life" I think Ray had some excellent suggestions in his post.

My personal (albiet very limited) take on it is that audiences will generally take things at face value until you give them a reason NOT to (unless you're like me and now I assume in these films everything IS a hallucination till proven otherwise-but I live in that weird valley anyway :lol:)

So if you're delving into the hallucinations, you have to play that timing game of how much to give the audience at the start, and pace it from there.

I think part of it too is going to be your talent, it takes (IMO) a good acting talent to be able to "convince" the audience about what he/she is going through, and interacting with said hallucinations like they were really there.

Hope these tips help a bit :)

They should suffer from sleep deprivation. When I watch those films I always think when do they sleep? And if they got the time then how could they fall asleep when mental things keep happening? And with sleep deprivation comes a load of other symptoms, like anxiety and hallucinations.

Remember that the actual result of sleep deprivation is hallucinations and lapses in judgement.

-- spinner :cool:

Back