Made in China follow focus gear has an awful odor.

Hi folks I just purchased three Fotga follow focus gear belts from China to go with my Fotga follow focus unit (which is surprisingly very good for the cost). The gear belts have a really strong odor to them, is this a health risk? Is there something I can do to deal with the odor without destroying the belts?

Anyone have any FF gear belt systems that they recommend? I will be using them on my Rokinon 14, 35 and 85 mm primes. Like I said I do like the Fotga Ff unit just not the skunk funk of the belts.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Hang them in your garden or another dry well ventilated place.
The smell can come from pesticides they (sometimes) use to debug a container before shipping.

On the other hand: it could be the material itself as well.

I can't promise you it's safe or dangerous.
But if it smells bad give it time to lose that smell.

I've bought stuff from Harbor Freight that would stink up the whole car before I got home.

If it's just that "uncured rubber" smell, the good news is that it will go away in a short while.
Seems like just letting the stuff out of the package speeds the process, but yes, it's a pretty loud smell for a while!

Off odors are pretty normal for fast and/or cheap manufacturing of plastic and rubber items. As others have already mentioned, those smells tend to fade over time.. setting the things out to air out should help.

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I'll leave them in the garage until the weekend. Hopefully that helps because that stuff smells wicked bad - like some mutant kerosene evil spawn thing.

Thanks again.

Back