• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Introducing the antagonist himself at the first scene.

I've recently had a debate with one of the team we're going to film with. It was about introducing the antagonist before the protagonists, in the opening scene, at the exposition (introduction).

It's ok by me, but the other side says that antagonist is the problem, the anti-power, so it shouldn't be shown at the beginning. I gave him examples of antagonists coming at the opening scenes, but those examples were in movies based on already known franchises (comics, computer games, books or movie sequels). Basically, he said that completely new stories shouldn't reveal the antagonist at the beginning.

Who you think is right?

Let's look at an obvious example. One every one knows. One that is overused.

Star Wars (1977) - the antagonist is introduced first. Worked well for that
story. Not based on already known franchises - comic, computer game,
book or movie sequel.

Excellent point, mad.

This isn't a "who is right" issue. What is "right" is what works for the
story being told. Many thrillers/crime dramas set up the protagonist
first. Many set up the threat first. One is not right and the other wrong.

It's supposed to be a SciFi/Fantasy/Drama, so we really don't know whether to shoot the first scene, or throw it out. With a few changes to the dialogues, the story can go well without that first scene, but I think it makes the story a little better.

So thanks for answers :)

I think it's fine as long as it's obvious that the antagonist is doing something bad..

in 24 they sometimes start off a season showing terrorist activities.. it's immediately obvious that someone is going to have to come and stop them! Go jack bauer!

Absolutely not! Remember, writing is like a political structure. There are no physical laws that prevent you from exploring other options. There's just simply rules that people like to follow because they guarantee a successful outcome.

With that being said, its Ok to show the antagonist first. In fact the whole question of who to show first is irrelevant because its all governed by the story.

the movie "Identity" is a great example. That showed the bad guy in the beginning because it was part of the twist at the end. The same is true for the Usual Suspects. But, that doesn't mean you have to have a twist to show the bad guy first. Kill Bill vol. 1 didn't have a twist and they sort of showed the bad guy because the whole point was to show the event that sparked the two part film.

Maybe I confused you more. I don't know. But I guess I'll just end with this: If you want to play it safe, show the good guy before the bad guy but if you want to be daring, show the bad guy first and then the good guy second, but whatever you do, make it work.

Back