• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Need help started my Found Footage Script

So after much procrastinating and i mean like years of it i am finally hampering down and starting to flesh out my idea for a found footage horror film set at an nice huge cottage (which i have and is in my family)

Now the question i have for posters here on indie talk is this.I have no experience in any part of filmmaking and am doing this just for the love of cinema and everything film.

I have a location which is in my family so that is down. The script being found footage will be super short since most of the dialogue will be rather improv or the script having just the beats that i am looking for.

Any adivce on how i would write dialogue would be much appreciated that is the part i am stuck on should i leave it blank so allow the actors to improv or write in what i want them to say ?

First and foremost you should have a plot line before you begin because without that specified structure then you're going nowhere fast.

Dialogue is exceedingly difficult for me in particular because there is a lot of leg work involved. This task boils down to the development of your characters. I would suggest you become intimately involved and knowledgeable about every character in your film.

Who are they? Where do they come from? What are their fears and hopes? Do they enjoy dry humor or slapstick? Any addictions or interesting quirks? Perhaps an accent? How do they relate to each other as well as the big picture plot?

These answers and more will help you develop a window into your character's head, which in turn will aide you in how they speak to one another and to write dialogue that is more natural because it comes from a "real" person who is dynamic and entertaining for your audience.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Who will be acting in this project? If it is friends and family members, write the characters to closely resemble the real people so they are just being themselves. For your dialog boxes, you can input either the reaction/conversation direction you want or leave it up to the actors. I prefer to script the dialog then let the actors put their own spin on it. You need to have the story mapped out before you begin writing, otherwise you may find yourself with a rambling mess of a screenplay. Most importantly, remember, it will probably suck hairy balls and that's okay. Keep us posted and good luck.

Back