• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Accurate Latin Translation

Hey Guys,

I'm writing a suspense/thriller script and need some accurate latin translations, but nobody I know (and nobody-that-I-know knows) is taking Latin courses or has any background in the so-called 'Dead Language'. Is anybody hereabouts well-versed in this eerily creepy dialect? I can, of course, use Google Translator to do my dirtywork, but I've found it to yield shoddy results in the past and would rather not resort to such tactics.

These are the lines to be translated:

1) "Your eyes show such
resolve. Such...hubris. You, of all
people, should know that you cannot
stop this."

2) "For one who questions
my hubris, you seem to have plenty
of your own."

3) "We are eternal; Without pain. Without Death."

4) "This is not over."

5) "We'll see."

Anyways, thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with my quandary.

I think you can write the dialogues in English, and mention in parenthesis that it should be said in latin. Example:

Code:
                                             BOB (in Latin)
              We are eternal; Without pain. Without Death.

And the producer will understand that it should be in Latin in the movie.

I’ve written some Latin into a screenplay; I just used Google Translate.

Realistically, very few people will question it. You could have your actors talking gibberish; few people would probably notice.

Having said that, if you really want it accurate, the link Chimp gave is probably your best bet.

Realistically, very few people will question it. You could have your actors talking gibberish; few people would probably notice.

True. There's actually a good example to that. The movie Borat. Borat is from Kazakhstan, but he was talking to his companion in Hebrew, while the companion was speaking in a different language, unknown to me. So they were speaking to each other in different languages, but for the rest of the world it seems like they were speaking in one language.

Back