Help with Mansfiled 950 Editor/splicer

Hoping someone can help. I got a used Mansfield 950 editor/splicer to edit some 8mm films before converting to digital. In preparing to run the first reel through I found that the exposed black sprocket gear did not turn. I partially disassembled the unit. This sprocket gear (as I am calling it) turns a central brass gear which then drives a glass prism. When I backed off the nut and lock washer on the back side of the sprocket and brass gears, I could get the assembly to turn. Even without the lock washer, as soon as I ran the gears in the correct direction, they bound up.

I sought advice - one good source said use acetone and clean, then it should turn. Another said - Just buy another off Ebay.

I found a cheap one on Ebay. Same problem!

The rest of the uit looks in reasonable condition, The two large handles on either end that run the film through work, the light works, the exposed brass spindles rotate, but the Sprocket is tight as a drum.

Any thoughts before I try Bromfield Camera?

Thanks.

Trying to save some money by editing the 8mm first, then having the footage I want digitized. Digitizing the whole collection is kind of a last resort. Thanks though.

Back