Captioning not available for the old movies - How to watch those?

I am a fan of Hitchcock and I am watching his earlier films. Some of the older movies (The Shame of Mary Boyle (1929) UK/English; East of Shanghai (1931) UK/English) don't have subtitles or closed captioning. As a non-native English speaker, it was hard for me to follow, as the characters were talking faster than usual and accents were also slightly different. Are there any program or software that could give me the captioning for the movies that don't have subtitles or captioning? Thanks.

PS: I tried playing the DVDs in DVD player, Blu-ray player and also in Macbook pro (Programs used: VLC, DVD Player, Blu-ray player). Nothing worked.

I am a fan of Hitchcock and I am watching his earlier films. Some of the older movies (The Shame of Mary Boyle (1929) UK/English; East of Shanghai (1931) UK/English) don't have subtitles or closed captioning. As a non-native English speaker, it was hard for me to follow, as the characters were talking faster than usual and accents were also slightly different. Are there any program or software that could give me the captioning for the movies that don't have subtitles or captioning? Thanks.

PS: I tried playing the DVDs in DVD player, Blu-ray player and also in Macbook pro (Programs used: VLC, DVD Player, Blu-ray player). Nothing worked.

There are a few sites carrying a lot of downloadable subtitles that you can drag and drop onto VLC or similar while a movie's playing. Probably the most comprehensive tool for searching is www.subtitleseeker.com. Obviously it depends on what movies users have uploaded for, so East of Shanghai is up there in English, while the other you mention is not.

anything released under the criterion collection will have subtitles.
you could search for hitchcock releases under their label.

Back