VFX on films such as The Hateful Eight

Hello!

I was wondering, when a movie is shot on film then digitized to do the VFX, how do they get back from the digital version to the film ?

Actually I mentioned "The Hateful Eight" but I don't know if they digitized it, I assume they did but maybe not.
I know though that some films were digitized for the VFX then put on film again for the projection, as there wasn't any digital projector but I don't know how it's done. I'd really like to know!

So if anyone could shed some light on it, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks a lot!

Thank you very much! I spent so much time looking for this.

Just a few questions, as I'm not a native speaker I didn't understand quite right. If I'm not mistaken, the difference between telecine and DI is just about when the color grading is done right ? I mean both can be done with the same hardware ?

And something else captivated my attention in the fourth paragraph of the Digital Intermediate page on wikipedia. It's said that
The physical intermediate film that is a result of the recording process is sometimes also called a digital intermediate, and is usually recorded to internegative (IN) stock, which is inherently finer-grain than camera negative (OCN).
Can anyone explain why it is finer-grain ?

Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken, the difference between telecine and DI is just about when the color grading is done right ?

No, that's not quite right or at least it's not quite right from what I remember when that was the standard film workflow. The telecine process took the original 35mm footage and converted it into TV footage (29.97fps), which was then often converted into a digital (Intermediate) format for post, not just for grading but for picture editing, audio editorial and music composing. DI formats are still commonly used in post today but the telecine process is not, as there's no longer any need to change frame rates for editing. A DI today is just one of the digital formats specifically designed for editing, the lossy but non-long GOP formats such as Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHD.

G

Back