Sitting on old 8mm from the 20's, seeking telecine insight

Hey Folks,

First time posting here so I hope this is the right subforum. My grandfather isn't doing well so last week my grandmother gave me a huge container of super 8mm/8mm films, family vacations and some theatrical releases. She was hoping since I worked in the film industry I would know what to do with them. Unfortunately I don't work in the post world and my contacts in LA their facilities seem to be pricey.

The films labeled were

"woody woodpecker - funny"
"Singapore"
"Castel film"
"Castel film"
"head hunters"
"dancing girl"
"man who came to our house"

I figure I will get them scanned along with the family vacation videos but I'm looking at 2000ft+ which most facilities are charging .50 - .75 a foot.

I found a local facility that is using a "Workprinter HD suite" and only charges .25 a foot but with old nitrate I want to make sure I'm putting these through a gentle process as I don't want them to burn up. I also don't really want to be spending anymore then $500.

Just curious on what the process is/what questions I should be asking. I know some places will just put the film through a projector and then film the projection which I've heard isn't ideal. Any insight on the technical side would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

-D

You might want to do a google search. Some of these films have already been made into DVDs and they would be cheaper than for you to convert them. You might want to check with B & H Photo. They might be able to give you more information. When I did a quick internet search, I found more sites offering information such as http://photo.net/video-forum/003WXX.

You might want to do a google search. Some of these films have already been made into DVDs and they would be cheaper than for you to convert them. You might want to check with B & H Photo. They might be able to give you more information. When I did a quick internet search, I found more sites offering information such as http://photo.net/video-forum/003WXX.

Thanks for the link. My grandmother thinks some of the films in the mix could possibly worth something, the older cartoons etc could be of value to collectors. Scans are pretty much worthless so it's more the fact of getting a scan of the film or frames to match up so we can start getting things appraised.

My hopes aren't high but she believes there may be some old mickey mouse cartoons in the lot. I could project them myself and film it but I don't want to risk it burning up.

I might just have to shell out the money to get them scanned.

After doing some research/from other people's insight it seems 8mm/super 8mm isn't made with nitrate. After doing some research I've dated the films from the 50s/60s

Last edited:
After doing some research/from other people's insight it seems 8mm/super 8mm isn't made with nitrate.
That was the first thing I was going to mention. No 8mm/super8 film
was ever nitrate.

I own close to 80 8mm and super8 Disney movies, lots of them Mickey
Mouse cartoons. These films really have no collector value. Every
existing Mickey Mouse film has been archived and is available on
DVD/BluRay. Although there is a small market for the films if the
packaging is in excellent condition. Much like the toys market.

The .25 per foot is about the best I have seen. The family films are
extremely valuable and important to you family. I suggest you get
those transferred and sell the commercial ones to collectors.

Back