Using film to make a short

Would love to make my first 10 min short to be filmed in film...any tips? What's your advice if I don't have much of a budget? Any stories or sugggestions on how to help me get started...maybe super 8?

Super-8 has a very distinctive look to it, even using the more modern filmstocks. Would this look be appropriate for your film?

With film, you'll definitely have to bone up on your audio needs. If your camera is not sound-sync'd, you'll need knopw how to deal with audio being recorded at one fixed speed while the film speed will vary somewhat.

You'll need to decide on what filmstock has the look you need, where you'll have it processed, where you'll have it digitised to edit (it may or may not be the same place where it's processed), the cost of the harddrive onto which the film gets digitised, any minimum-charge costs that the lab may have... and probably some more.

Are you proficient with a light-meter? One of those will come in very handy.

Oh, and unlike tape or digital files - you can't rewind film and do the take again if it's not to your liking. You'll need more film than the estimated finished run-time. A minimum shooting ratio of 3 to 1 is probably the minimal to get away with. Add that to your costs.

Just rambling right now. If you're willing to spend the bux on shooting film (and it doesn't need to be *that* expensive), keep in mind that a camera is only part of the puzzle when putting together the look of film. Access to lights & light control will help take any camera to the next level.

But yeah, there's a few things to think about. :)

I have just shot my first roll of film. it cost me so far 30 squids which is ~45$.
I have not telecined it which will cost about 25 squid for 10bit uncompressed ( if you want to submit to fest or screen it you need that. SD is just meh).

yes,the colour is absolutely brilliant. Sharpness was quite amazing for super 8 as well.
Would I shoot a 10min short? nope. It is way to expensive. For 10min short you want atleast 20min stock with 10bit telecine it is ~ 300£~ 450$. That is insane cost for a very stresful shoot. If you want to make a 2-3mins short or 10mins street documentray (chronology) where you don't have takes go for it.

Or some abstract stop motion.

Or either save up for 16mm which will give you proff quality

Film is so expensive, I shot a reel of 16mm today. Which is fun and waiting to see the results brings back memories from years ago.
But for 100' of kodak 250d your looking at £40 ish
Then for the developing and HD transfer its costs 25p a foot, which I didnt think was too bad.
Then it could all be a waste if the exposure is wrong Arrrrr
But when you get it right film is awesome

that is all :)

Man, I love shooting film. There's something really rewarding about shooting a roll of film and having it come back in focus, exposed properly, and even looking good!

If you think S16's expensive, try shooting 35mm!

Looking forward to seeing your films!

Last edited:
Why not shoot digitally first a few times and review... make sure you have it looking like you want (with regarding to blocking, framing and movement)

then break out the film camera... and quickly put it back away because it's not worth it ;)

Back