Is this bad?

I like to write scripts but i can never come up with titles so i give the script to some friends let them read it and i say what would you call this? If they give me a good enough answer i use it as the title. Is that bad? Like i'm taking credit for their work on the title? I do come up with some titles for my scripts but if i can't come up with anything I ask for some help from my friends and family, is that a cop out for not being creative?

I wouldn't worry, no one will judge the quality of your script by its title.

Plenty of great authors down the centuries have sucked at coming up with titles. Bleak House? Hard Times? The Pickwick Papers? OUR MUTUAL FRIEND???

No, not bad at all! Remember that many of the best titles "say what the script is about." Your choice is whether you want it to be concise:
STAR WARS
ALIEN
ALIENS

Or long:
HOW TO RAISE AND TRAIN YOUR DRAGON
RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

Either way, they say what the movie is about.

Titles also change all the time, so what you title a script isn't necessarily important. You'll often find somewhere along the production that a better name comes up, and if you're lucky enough to get distribution the distributor may want to change the name of the film for marketing purposes - it's also not uncommon for films to have different titles for different territories. So no, I wouldn't worry about it.

Another Question

Is it also bad to borrow from other things? Like I'm a big Music fan and when I see sometimes like a cool album cover I think certain things of it would look good on a poster such as the Font or the overall photography of the cover. Like this
Lets-rock-again.jpg

I feel like I'm not using my creativity..... I consider myself a creative person but I just feel like it's not entirely my own i suppose? I really like the photography in that photo and I was thinking of using it in a new short I'm writing this one aiming to be about 10-11 minutes long instead of 5-6 minutes long like my usual ones. I think I'll title it Keep the Business Alive, that sounds good to me.

I feel like I'm not using my creativity..... I consider myself a creative person but I just feel like it's not entirely my own i suppose?

"Originality is undetected plagarism." We all borrow from outside influences, so as long as you're not directly (and overtly) copying someone else's work, you're just fine.

What about borrowing something from another movie? Like you take something from a film and then implement it into your own movie. Is that bad? What if you take something from a movie and change it around to make it your own like give it a different take or take an effect one step further.

Back