Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Classified Ads > Networking

Old 04-24-2006, 10:56 PM   #31
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru

I'd love to work on something like this.
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 04-25-2006, 12:04 AM   #32
NicklausLouis
Basic - Premiere Expired

Send a message via Skype™ to NicklausLouis
I think the only way it could really work is if the movie is actually a bunch of vignettes that revolve around the same premise (see Four Rooms). I don't think a traditional narrative would work in a case like this.

I had this idea (the vignette one) some time ago -- the premise being people somehow affected by death -- for instance, I wrote one of the planned vignettes about how four people's lifes changed when death paid them a visit (three lived, one died).

My idea was very Twilight Zone like, but I think you could do it for pretty much any genre.

Poke
NicklausLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:26 AM   #33
filmscheduling
Basic - Premiere Expired

I think it'd be interesting to have a movie about a scam sent by email that people fall for in various countries. Each episode shot in a different country about different kinds of people falling for the scam. The thread to hold it together is that it's the same scam. Whoever takes charge of the whole production can decide what the scam is and shoot the segments of the criminal behind it.
I'd say make it decentralized, it can just be lots of episodes and participating filmmakers can have freedom to shoot whatever they want, as long as each episode's main character falls for the scam.
The project definitely would need a "champion" to drive the whole thing forward and to make the first episode to get it off the ground.
If each episode was 5 to 7 minutes it shouldn't be too hard to get people on board.
The interesting thing about films like this is the different approaches filmmakers will take - it would be fruitless to try to get a consistent tone or style in the film.

Last edited by filmscheduling; 04-25-2006 at 02:31 AM.
filmscheduling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:47 AM   #34
Contempovision Films
Basic - Premiere Expired

Poke. That idea seems like a couple people like the idea of making a few different segments from around the world. Its a good idea, and i do like it, but what i had in my mind before was everyone putting in something different from around the world, just on a single project. Why couldn't it be written by numerous people from here. I think that is do'able. Then when the scripts finished, send that to the director, and he gathers his crew of dop's, actors, etc to film the script, which is what happens in most films. Then that gets sent to the editing group, maybe the same people editing, sound, video, etc. Then a composer can do his thing. I think that, being a very basic outline, is something we could do. Mind you, the way i think, might be bias here (you can do anything if you really want to)

Yes, i agree with the forum talk. We should keep it here. The only reason that i set up a basic one on my forums was just in case indietalk didn't want multiple topics, but the way it sounds, he won't mind

Last edited by Contempovision Films; 04-25-2006 at 04:50 AM.
Contempovision Films is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:03 AM   #35
clive
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
I think it'd be interesting to have a movie about a scam sent by email that people fall for in various countries. Each episode shot in a different country about different kinds of people falling for the scam. The thread to hold it together is that it's the same scam. Whoever takes charge of the whole production can decide what the scam is and shoot the segments of the criminal behind it.
I'd say make it decentralized, it can just be lots of episodes and participating filmmakers can have freedom to shoot whatever they want, as long as each episode's main character falls for the scam.
The project definitely would need a "champion" to drive the whole thing forward and to make the first episode to get it off the ground.
If each episode was 5 to 7 minutes it shouldn't be too hard to get people on board.
The interesting thing about films like this is the different approaches filmmakers will take - it would be fruitless to try to get a consistent tone or style in the film.
This seems ideal

Especially if you combine it with

Quote:
for instance, I wrote one of the planned vignettes about how four people's lifes changed when death paid them a visit (three lived, one died).
It seems to me what you have there potentially is an e-mail scam that could be fatal and plays out in different people lives in different ways -- some die, some survive (but each having learned valuable life lessons! LOL)
clive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:29 AM   #36
Lilith
Basic - Premiere Expired

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Clive, just love how your mind works! It could add a supernatural element by making the email prophetic. That way, rather than a crime centered film, you get a thriller.
Lilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:56 AM   #37
Eddie Rex
Basic - Premiere Expired

Question

Or how about an email that predicts the future, and then it turns out to be true...
Eddie Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:53 AM   #38
Phil D
Basic - Premiere Expired

If I may wade in.

The whole internet/computer related storyline is great, as it ties in nicely with the way the film will be made.

But an email is not a very interesting thing visually. One idea is that it could be a website that people stumble upon, that then somehow effects them in some way. Causing them to do things, or become pawns in a larger plot.

This might sound a bit Scooby Do, but it could be through some sort of hypnotic suggestion hidden within the web page. You could then design a page that is visually more arresting than an email message. (Think of the image on the video in "The Ring" as this concept is verging on the same territory)

The website then becomes a part of the marketing tool of the actual film, like Blair Witch.

Anyway, just a thought to add to the mix.
Phil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:01 AM   #39
CootDog

Send a message via AIM to CootDog Send a message via MSN to CootDog Send a message via Yahoo to CootDog
Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil D
But an email is not a very interesting thing visually. One idea is that it could be a website that people stumble upon, that then somehow effects them in some way. Causing them to do things, or become pawns in a larger plot.
That sounds "Fight Club"ish!

I like the idea. What about those nigerian scams we get in email, but you get a letter, scribbed on parchment, or something like that.. OLD OLD paper. That ads a tangible "feel" that people can relate to: holding a strange letter.

It could go on and on as a prophetic tale, and of you don't do this or send it to someone else, something bad happens. If you pass it on, somehting good happens. You've all seen those emails or chain letters.

But this one is true, and happens all around the world.

So you as the producer gets to decide of they follow the commands of the paper, or toss it. Does something good happen, or something bad?

I like the "Four Rooms" type film. Since it's one of my favorites. It has 2 main "glues" holding it together: 1) same character in each room, and 2) the physical location of the hotel

However, this thing we're all talking about, there's only 2 things "gleuing it together" 1) same letter to each person and, 2) a decision to do it or not.

In fact, I could see say 6 filmmakers decide to do this. The film goes from the first person finding the letter, dealing with if they are going to do it or not, then we see their decision, do it or toss it... THEN next filmmakers part.... after all 6 play, we see what happens to the 6 letter getters.

Does that make sense? or can you not understand what I'm getting at?
CootDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:04 AM   #40
clive
Basic - Premiere Expired

There's already a sucessful series out there based on a group of people using chat to discuss pirating DVDs.

Can't remember the name.

Rather than a website per see -- what about a MPORPG -- that way some of the forum's up and coming computer anamators could get a taste.

That's pretty visual.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:11 AM   #41
knightly
Basic Member

Send a message via AIM to knightly Send a message via Skype™ to knightly
And we could get a segment with a guy (<edit>or gal</edit>) trying to tie it all together in another segment and then use massive parallel action to make a thriller. Interweave all of the vignettes, not just with endings meeting the beginnings, but storylines running alongside one another through editing.
knightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:34 AM   #42
John@Bophe
Basic Member

In all fairness...since this is Contempovision Films' idea, I think CF should guide how the project is executed. Based on his previous posts, it sounds like he wants to go with a single crew handling the actual filming/taping of a single story, but that other teams can get involved with script writing/editing/post/audio/etc.
John@Bophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:33 AM   #43
Loud Orange Cat
Premiere Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Loud Orange Cat
Thumbs Up

I can see it now...

Wide shot of a spammer filling envelopes, then later dropping them into a post box.

Enter all of us going to the mailbox, getting the same chain letter.

We follow each of us on how this letter affects our lives, all in different ways.

Does this sound good? I like this. This way, everyone gets to shoot something different and original.

Last edited by Loud Orange Cat; 04-25-2006 at 10:36 AM.
Loud Orange Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:37 AM   #44
CootDog

Send a message via AIM to CootDog Send a message via MSN to CootDog Send a message via Yahoo to CootDog
Unfortunately, for me, I'm toooooo busy right now to participate, except for throwing out ideas.

So John, you're right. the ones that will actually be doing it should chime in.
CootDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:06 PM   #45
clive
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Unfortunately, for me, I'm toooooo busy right now to participate, except for throwing out ideas.
Same here... more than willing to chip into the script development process.

Be good if CF spoke to you about distribution though!