Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Classified Ads > Networking

Old 04-23-2006, 06:49 PM   #16
CootDog

Send a message via AIM to CootDog Send a message via MSN to CootDog Send a message via Yahoo to CootDog
I do remember the secret agent Gemini project thing we were working on a while ago, but this sounds different... AND harder... Which is GREAT!

The editor will have a field day trying to get continuity down.

I'd love to see how this develops.
CootDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 04-23-2006, 07:05 PM   #17
cibao
Basic - Premiere Expired

My suggestion would be to make 9 to 12 short films with a theme or themes and props that go into all of them. Not that I'm suggesting this but something like a teen angst film. A showing of teen angst in various countries and various places within countries.

I thought of this with the indie talk festivals. Rather than competition, we work together, and have all the films tie into one another, but only in the beginning and the end.

I don't think this is an original idea, but I do like it.

It could be as easy as one item being sold on e-bay, and following it's path around the world. A knife for a horror flick, a book for romance or teen angst, a painting or picture for anything, a pen for an office movie.

You get it. I think from the indie contests, you can't expect everyone to be on the same page and the same type of production or writing, but you could get a neat movie.

Chris
cibao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:33 PM   #18
knightly
Basic Member

Send a message via AIM to knightly Send a message via Skype™ to knightly
This is almost starting to sound like the Theives World fantasy compilation novels. Several fantasy authors were given a world in which to populate their characters, the rules were that you could use other authors characters (descriptions and backstories were posted in a packet and delivered to all the participants) but couldn't kill them off...only your own characters. The world was defined, maps and political stuff. Then the editors wove it all together into a cohesive story for publication...theres about a dozen books out, each chapter is by a different author in each book.
knightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:05 PM   #19
mdifilm
Basic - Premiere Expired

Send a message via AIM to mdifilm Send a message via MSN to mdifilm Send a message via Yahoo to mdifilm
a project like this depends mostly on the determination of each individual who wants to participate, back in 1999 when another forum like this had the similar idea: each member at their town create a short film that has a common demonination, this that case, it was a dollar coin, and then the shorts would connect together through the coin (like in one short, at the end, the coin could've rolled toward off screen, and somehow picked up by the protagonist of another short film and proceed with that).

about 25 people signed up, the forum's owner volunteered to send each person a $1 coin and asked everyone to eventually send their short film in by certain due date, which was set like several months later, unfortunately, everyone got busy with their own project and only 3 of the signed up member submitted their shorts, I was one of them, and yet, the project never materialized.

I think the thought of it is always great and fun, however, it all depends on the people who are involved, plus what's the market of such a project? to just make something for fun or there's a market for it?

So, I just wanted to post my comment for all to read and understand, it takes time and endurance to make it happen, and if everything thinks it's a great idea, then PLEASE follow through to make it happen...
mdifilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:51 AM   #20
clive
Basic - Premiere Expired

Interesting idea and I have some suggestions:

1) Keep the process simple -- Look at the things that can easily be done collectively and online - like story development and writing -- use separate threads as work areas -- so you'd have a story development thread, a character development thread and a script thread [you keep the threads separate so that they stay focussed on that one task]

2) For production why not take advantage of the international nature of the board and make the production international -- OK you can't fly your actors all round the world, but you can develop a story where events on three different continents are all linked.

So the next thing that you could look at is finding out who has what resources where in the world.

3) Decide on a house shooting style and let one single volunteer handle the post production -- so it doesn't end up looking like a patchwork quilt.

4) If you've got something that works, think about looking at a podcast series

And finally even if the only thing that comes of this is that you collectively throw some ideas around, develop the backstory of some characters, discuss the plotting -- that activity in itself will be valauable.

I'm more than happy to chip in my two cents on plotting, character development and the script.

Last edited by clive; 04-24-2006 at 01:54 AM.
clive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:15 AM   #21
Contempovision Films
Basic - Premiere Expired

One important part which we will have to choose is whos the target audeince. I was intenting it to be a short film that would look at festivals first, but that could change with everyone putting in their 2 cents. I think it'll be fun to do regardless, but i don't just want it to be for fun. cibao mentioned about making 9-12 short films. Clive's idea is more in line with what i was thinking of, making this one short, and if it generates interest and a following, make some 'sequels' to follow, and the podcast way clive mentioned is smart, considering that technology is real popular now.

I think the determination of each individual is important, and it would be harder in the situation you described mdifilm. I think clive again was following what i meant with this, keep it as simple as we can. With making one film at a time between all involved, i think it would make all involved accountable for their particular part.

With the separate threads, will indietalk allow us to make multiple threads for each part? I have thought of this also, and if indie will let us, that would be great. If so, where would you like us to start these threads? If not, i have my forum for CV Films where we can do the specific threads. I have got a few up there, but i'd rather keep it here if possible, i'm sure all will agree.

Finding out who has what resources where in the world to start sorting out who is doing what is a good first step, but maybe we should wait, i don't know, a week on this, just incase some members haven't even seen this thread yet.

clive, with the one person handling the post, if we can find someone that can do it, and is willing, that might make it less patchy. But say with composing, are you counting that with post? I think some of the post would be good to share the load, i'll wait for how you respond to this.
Contempovision Films is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:44 AM   #22
clive
Basic - Premiere Expired

I can't speak for indie, but as an ex moderator I'd be surprised if mulitple threads would be a problem, whereas pulling people to another forum would be.

And you wouldn't need to run all of them at the same time -- why not use this thread to gather production resources and co-ordinate the production, set up another called intalk-movie the story.

Once you've got a basic concept, open a third for character development -- run those threads in paralell until you've got your story outlined, then open up a script thread.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:38 AM   #23
Lilith
Basic - Premiere Expired

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Sounds very interesting. I would be up for something like this, provided I can squeeze it in without compromising Johnny's feature "The Rapture". It shoots in July.
Lilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:05 AM   #24
John@Bophe
Basic Member

In our non-Bophe lives, Charles and I both come from project management backgrounds. It would seem that a project like this would need one central point of coordination to keep everything moving forward and to be the source for communication. We could help out in this capacity (in addition to sound editing and contributing to the score).

I could put up a project website so everyone could post updates, see the schedule, etc.
John@Bophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:48 AM   #25
Loud Orange Cat
Premiere Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Loud Orange Cat
A large collaboration like this looks good on paper, but the logistics behind it... that's a scary thing.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea a lot. It's the logistics that need to be ironed out first.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:33 AM   #26
clive
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
In our non-Bophe lives, Charles and I both come from project management backgrounds
That's good to know -- I agree good project management is key to this.

Actually if we go back to film 101, it would make sense for someone to stick their hand up and say "I will take the producer role"

notice the quotes -- that's not an offer -- LOL!

You could then take Bophe's offer up to Line Produce (correct me if I'm wrong) and use that as the springboard for the creative work.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:34 PM   #27
Contempovision Films
Basic - Premiere Expired

Clive & all involved so far, i didn't really say much in the description, but when i proposed the idea, in my mind i was the producer, i can see where i wanted this to go. Now i do want to do this, and i could set up the movies pages on my site (cvfilms.net). Its not the best site ever seen, but its easy to navigate through. Although clive's idea of Bophe's offer to Line Produce, with the website, thats another good option. If you could im me or post up here Bophe what you could do in this respect, and if it sounds good to you!
Old 04-24-2006, 03:59 PM   #28
Eddie Rex
Basic - Premiere Expired

Question

Ok, heres an idea i thought up during my dinner break. How about shooting several different scenes in various parts of the world so we can all contribute, and make the main character just a voiceover, someone you never see which will have an aura of mystery.

Now imagine we film 12 segments of only 7 mins that would be a feature length film (12 x 7 mins = 84 mins) and we could all arrange a screening at our local "indie friendly" cinema to ensure a worldwide release.

Meantime i shall do some more thinking about a story idea...

Any suggestions?
Eddie Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:28 PM   #29
Loud Orange Cat
Premiere Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Loud Orange Cat
I'll buy this idea. Everyone shoots some 'recognizable' footage of a specific geographical area.

Nice.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:51 PM   #30
Contempovision Films
Basic - Premiere Expired

Eddie, heres my opinion with your idea. In my mind, and of the other stories, it sounds like that type of thing will be hard to do for the simple fact that not everybody will come through with the goods. I suggest we stick with the one short/one shooting crew. This way the footage won't appear to be so patchy. And if we generate enough interest with this, we could do the 'sequel' with footage from different places like you are suggesting. I think this way it will turn out better, because by then, we would have more of an idea with how to make the footage look like, so it wouldn't look so patchy and different. And also, if the first is successful, people will really want to come through and finish their part for the second one, because it would already have some audience.