Home
Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Newbies

Old 01-08-2017, 02:58 AM   #46
harmonica44
Basic Member

Okay thanks. I want to chase the dream, I was just worried the course may be a waste of money and I may not learn anything or get anything useful out of it maybe.

As for getting the name of the construction guy myself, how would I do that? The boss likely has the guy's name in his computer, and it's probably password protected I am guessing.
harmonica44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 01-08-2017, 07:59 AM   #47
mlesemann
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
The boss likely has the guy's name in his computer, and it's probably password protected I am guessing.
ASK HIM FOR IT.
It's for a video that he (the boss) hired you to make, so it's a (very) reasonable request.
mlesemann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:14 PM   #48
WalterB
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlesemann View Post
ASK HIM FOR IT.
It's for a video that he (the boss) hired you to make, so it's a (very) reasonable request.
+1

Stop guessing.
Start communicating!
WalterB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:56 PM   #49
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

I had a brainstorm for h44.

Why don't you get into documentaries? You can still tell a story it just happens to be a real one. You can work by yourself and with very limited crew and NO ACTORS!

It came to me when I was watching this short film (yes it is still called a short film), which I found for non-entertainment purposes, and for the information it conveyed:

I think docs could be for you. Is there a story in your town you can tell?
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:37 PM   #50
harmonica44
Basic Member

I could do that. I was told before not too, and that I should just stick to doing fictional narratives, since documentaries would not teach me what I need to know about fictional narrative filmmaking, which is what I wanted to get into. But I guess documentary experience is better than no experience. Not sure if there is anything in my small city to do a documentary on, I will have to look into that.

I am still considering whether or not I should go to the film school though. It's only a six month course, and other filmmakers who have more experience than me, told me it's a waste of time and no one in the industry will take a six month course school seriously at all.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:44 PM   #51
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

You need to stop with the "told you not to" stuff. What do YOU want to do? That's all that damn matters man.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:04 PM   #52
harmonica44
Basic Member

Well after talking to the people at the school it is 9500 USD about... What I want to do... I feel like I should do what they said the school has to offer which is they help you make four short film projects, that you can put on your portfolio and they have resources to make them that i dont' have such as crew and outsourcing people for post production, which they do for you too. Or so they said.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:43 PM   #53
jax_rox
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonica44 View Post
no one in the industry will take a six month course school seriously at all.
No-one in the 'industry' gives two hoots about what school you went to, how long you were there for, or what the course was.

What they care about is what you know and what you can do. If you can come out of a six month course with four short films - well that's four more than you would have done in six months hanging around here, no?
jax_rox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:54 PM   #54
harmonica44
Basic Member

True. But I was also told I m ight as well just make them on my own and save the money for school. However, the school does teach things about lighting and other things I don't know. I guess you can learn that from tutorials and books, like people say though. As long as it's worth it. I thought maybe it would be cause with the school, the cast and crew are guaranteed to participate.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:36 AM   #55
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Quote:
no one in the industry will take a six month course school seriously at all.
Let me echo jax_rox and what many have told you here already. You get out of it what you put in! Don't go into it to impress others with a degree or how long you've gone, period! You have to look at it similar to a vocational school where you learn auto mechanics etc. You are learning a trade and perhaps can network, but don't expect anything else. Don't expect to get a doctorate in film and step onto set as a high paid director!
Old 01-10-2017, 12:39 AM   #56
harmonica44
Basic Member

Oh no, I don't expect that! It's just before others were saying that I can learn all this stuff on my own, and school is not worth the money... so I hope I don't come out of it thinking, well that was nice, but I probably could have learned all that without school, or come thinking I already knew most of it from what I have already read and studied.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:45 AM   #57
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

You get out what you put in. I went. There were cameras. I grabbed them and used them. There were editing bays. I booked them. There were screening rooms. I used them. I even used teachers as actors. Make the best of it.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:39 AM   #58
WalterB
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indietalk View Post
You get out what you put in. I went. There were cameras. I grabbed them and used them. There were editing bays. I booked them. There were screening rooms. I used them. I even used teachers as actors. Make the best of it.
This!
I went. I worked my ass off and sometimes I slacked. In the end I only regretted the slacking moments.

Quote:
........It's just before others were saying that I can learn all this stuff on my own, and school is not worth the money... so I hope I don't come out of it thinking, well that was nice, but I probably could have learned all that without school, or come thinking I already knew most of it from what I have already read and studied.
4 Shorts in 6 months.
That is more than 1 short in 6 years.
In the end you might think you didn't or did learn much new theory. But theory means nothing if you can't put it into practice. You might even discover that the theory you think you know works a bit differently in reality.
WalterB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:09 PM   #59
harmonica44
Basic Member

Okay thanks. I did some more research. I will not be directing all four shorts, and will only be the crew. Only one of the shorts, I will be directing myself in the course. So for the remaining three, I get crew credits, for my portfolio. Is that worth going to the school for though, if you only get one directorial credit to present in your portfolio after?

Last edited by harmonica44; 01-10-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:31 PM   #60
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

It's film school not directing school. You swap roles and learn filmmaking. If you want to make a film on your own not part of the program, you have instant crew (students) and cast (students, teachers, etc.) and free equip.

We can't decide for you.