Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Newbies

Old 01-05-2017, 09:57 PM   #31
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

I think the dude is very creative but needs a kick in the pants, and if I can be that kick in the pants but come across as being impatient so be it... I will take that hit. I'm a procrastinator myself... and I see a lot of similar stuff, like, happy if it rains and I was supposed to do something, so I can say, oh well shit, can't do it today, it's raining. I put stuff off forever. Don't ask. So yeah, he is pissing me off because he has potential! And I don't want to see him fall into the same ruts I do. I wish I could follow my own advice as well, but just DO IT! Don't ask just do, then come back and show us!
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 01-05-2017, 10:30 PM   #32
WalterB
Basic Member

The creativity needs to be transferred from the excuses to the action department. Then things will get into motion
WalterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:31 PM   #33
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Yeah trust me, a lot of work goes into excuses too lol.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:17 AM   #34
Sweetie
Basic Member

Before you reply any further in threads by h44, I want you to think about this a little: "Who's the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?"

While I've been guilty of it in the past, he has you all enabling his games.

Perhaps it's time to make a new years resolution.
Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:29 AM   #35
El Director
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
Before you reply any further in threads by h44, I want you to think about this a little: "Who's the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?"

While I've been guilty of it in the past, he has you all enabling his games.

Perhaps it's time to make a new years resolution.
Reminds me of the old saying, "not my circus, not my monkeys"
El Director is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:38 AM   #36
Sweetie
Basic Member

Quote:
"not my circus, not my monkeys"
+1

I got suckered back in ;(
Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:56 AM   #37
harmonica44

Okay thanks. Thanks for all the help and advice. I hardly ever read poetry and most of the stories I do read are pretty straightforward I guess. Sorry if I was stubborn or not willing to cut corners.

I was hired to shoot a promotional video and edit it, for a mining company. I can try to make that as film like as possible and try to tell a story in the video, with no script. I might be able to do narration as well, but it depends on what the company wants.

After that I am going to try to get started on another short, and hopefully have both these projects completed before possibly starting the film school course.

Last edited by harmonica44; 01-06-2017 at 04:08 AM.
harmonica44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:11 AM   #38
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Congrats on the gig!
Old 01-06-2017, 05:58 AM   #39
WalterB
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonica44 View Post

I was hired to shoot a promotional video and edit it, for a mining company. I can try to make that as film like as possible and try to tell a story in the video, with no script. I might be able to do narration as well, but it depends on what the company wants.
Congrats on the gig.

Trust me, you don't want to do a corporate video you get paid for without a script (or plan).
I have no idea what the budget is, you need at least a plan to know what you have to shoot to be able to convincingly tell the story the client needs to tell.
What are the goal and purpose of the video?
Who is the target audience?
What is the key message?

At the same time: shoot it as 'filmic' as possible. Make every shot count and add to the visual story.
In the edit: always ask yourself: it this interesting for the target audience?
Old 01-06-2017, 06:20 AM   #40
harmonica44

Basically the company was expanding their location and I was shooting the construction of it all. I already shot it all last summer and fall, but they never got back to me to edit it since, construction fell behind, and it was never finished. They told me it mighht be dead in the water and to wait and see. But they got back to me, today, and still want an edited video of the construction that was already done. So I have to tell the story of how the construction and expansion was done on their location.

However, back when I shot it it, they didn't really have a plan for me to work with much, and I just shot a bunch of construction being done. I tried to shoot it as filmic as possible, but a lot of it had to be shot at a high shutter speed, since I had to from interior to exterior constantly while shooting, without having the time to take ND filters on and off, since those construction people move fast.

So basically I was just able to get a bunch of shots of construction being done, and now have to figure out how to put it all together and tell a story in post. As for what the message of the video is, they just want to humbly show off their expansion to people as far as I know.

Last edited by harmonica44; 01-06-2017 at 06:26 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #41
Morris
Basic Member

You can still do some interviews. Do one of the person who hired you and find out what his vision was for the new construction and what would be accomplished with it. Did it turn out as expected? Interview the construction foreman and find what he tried to do and what he was most proud of or not quite happy with. How do the people feel in the new location. Just a few things you can blend into it.
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:59 PM   #42
WalterB
Basic Member

What Morris says.
If you ask the right questions you can use it as voice-over.

BTW, next time try to shot inside and outside in a way that doesn't mean changing filters after every shot. Why working with the shutter? ISO and aperture go a long way as well.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:47 AM   #43
harmonica44

The reason why I worked with the shutter, is because even with the ISO turned down to the 100, and with the aperture closed at f16, the sun was still too bright a lot, so I had to then turn up the shutter speed, cause the ISO and aperture were not enough.

Plus if I have the shutter around f22, you can get aperture diffraction, so I didn't want to close it more than f16 to avoid possible diffraction. I guess the higher aperture is not too bad, it just gives the footage a look you would see in a movie like Saving Private Ryan or something. I did however, only have time to get as much camera footage as possible. If the boss wants sound effects though, that will be the toughest, part cause I have to create sounds of all these construction machines working and wonder how much I can stretch, since I couldn't find all the specific sounds online. So we'll see.

I might be able to interview the boss of the company and will ask him next week. I don't think he will have the construction guy come back though, but I can ask him.

Last edited by harmonica44; 01-07-2017 at 03:26 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #44
mlesemann
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
I don't think he will have the construction guy come back though, but I can ask him.
Get the name of the construction guy and call him yourself!
You can interview him in his own office. Assuming that the project went well, he'll be very happy to get some free publicity.
mlesemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:14 PM   #45
jax_rox
IndieTalk Moderator

If you've got the money, and you're serious about being a filmmaker and doing the hard work - do the course.

If you can't even commit to 'try' and finish a film (seriously, don't you remember Yoda's advice?) then maybe you're not serious at all and should spend your money elsewhere.

Filmmaking's not for everyone. If you can do something else, you should. IMO, you should only chase the dream if you're so passionate about it you couldn't imagine doing anything else.
jax_rox is offline   Reply With Quote