Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Showcase > Screening Room > Narrative

Old 01-03-2017, 06:57 PM   #16
mlesemann
IndieTalk Moderator

I've posted the trailer to my most recent movie (Detours) a lot lately, so I'll (re-)share the one for my 1st feature, Surviving Family.

mlesemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 01-03-2017, 07:06 PM   #17
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Good examples of trailers! Hadn't seen that one.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:29 PM   #18
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyLongSongs View Post
Okay. Pros. All I ask if someone post their trailer so i can gauge it against mines and she the shortcomings. Nope! Just a circle jerk.
You don't want to know what any of us think. Why do you even ask?
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:11 PM   #19
MinutemenPro
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indietalk View Post
Wow, that's some good photography there, and well put together trailer. Very Hollywood-esqe.
Thanks Indietalk, much appreciated!
MinutemenPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:33 AM   #20
FreddyLongSongs
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinutemenPro View Post
What has been said above holds validity. It is difficult to hear what is being said. I was able to make out what was being said, I just had to strain a bit to hear it. You'll find the suggestion of raising the volume a worthy note. It is tough to tell what the story is about exactly, although the title cards do help. Often I'll go back and try to get to the bare bones of the story and find the simplest way of conveying that message. Even having character flat out saying their motivation at times. Trailers sell your film, therefore withholding too much information from those you are selling to can harm you.

Thanks! Something useful and insightful and simply nitpicking.
FreddyLongSongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:46 AM   #21
FreddyLongSongs
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directorik View Post
You don't want to know what any of us think. Why do you even ask?
So, you have nothing to show?

I asked for people to actually watch it not critique which I do not mind. Just come correct and be constructive.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:50 AM   #22
FreddyLongSongs
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlesemann View Post
I've posted the trailer to my most recent movie (Detours) a lot lately, so I'll (re-)share the one for my 1st feature, Surviving Family.

Bravo but this a multiple location, well-executed, solidly funded feature. Mine is a one location, self-produced, self-financed, <7 minute short.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:59 AM   #23
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru

Quote:

I asked for people to actually watch it not critique
You are right. I apologize for the critique.
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:21 AM   #24
WalterB
Basic Member

Although you didn't ask for critique I will offer a few suggestions.
I think the non lineair thing is confusing (it makes the shots in the trailer feel a bit random). And using a more or less similar shot twice doesn't add to any tension or curiousity.
What if you cut out 0:02 till 0:10?
If you go from 'WTF?!' to not shaking hands it might work better as a trailer as it shows how she seems to be disconnected and antisocial.
If you combine 'like Jody Foster.' with 'my dad' it might become even weirder in a humorous way.

I watched it on a laptop and I couldn't hear the first line so well, either.
Maybe the line needs a little boost while the music can use a little EQ dip around 1200 Hz (to make more room for dialoque). (The audio pros might want to kill me for this simple approach, but hey, if it works, it works )
(Or maybe you don't need that shot in the trailer?)

The most recent trailer I made was still a bit too long, but I wanted to put too many names in it and I had little time to edit it:

Before that I made fake trailers for easter:
(In one of the titles the vfx are off.)
WalterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:56 PM   #25
Cryogenic
Basic Member

Quote:
So, you have nothing to show?

I asked for people to actually watch it not critique which I do not mind. Just come correct and be constructive.
Oops. I guess I missed the part about not critiquing. That is what you will get when you post on a filmmaking site. Then you say come correct and be constructive. That sounds like you want critique. Look like you just want glad hand. If I like something I will tell you. If I think there is a problem I will post to try and help with the problem. If it becomes apparent the someone thinks they are all that and not actually looking to make themselves a better filmmaker then I will at that point ignore that person. You have tricked yourself into believing you are all that and do not seem to want to make your films better. There are problems with your trailer. Period. You do not want to accept that. Fine. Done. I have a trailer I have posted before (that I know is not perfect) Here is the facebook link to it, sorry that is all I can access from my current location.

https://www.facebook.com/Waiting2Die...1647404922798/
Cryogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:20 PM   #26
FreddyLongSongs
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterB View Post
Although you didn't ask for critique I will offer a few suggestions.
I think the non lineair thing is confusing (it makes the shots in the trailer feel a bit random). And using a more or less similar shot twice doesn't add to any tension or curiousity.
What if you cut out 0:02 till 0:10?
If you go from 'WTF?!' to not shaking hands it might work better as a trailer as it shows how she seems to be disconnected and antisocial.
If you combine 'like Jody Foster.' with 'my dad' it might become even weirder in a humorous way.

I watched it on a laptop and I couldn't hear the first line so well, either.
Maybe the line needs a little boost while the music can use a little EQ dip around 1200 Hz (to make more room for dialoque). (The audio pros might want to kill me for this simple approach, but hey, if it works, it works )
(Or maybe you don't need that shot in the trailer?)

The most recent trailer I made was still a bit too long, but I wanted to put too many names in it and I had little time to edit it:

Before that I made fake trailers for easter:
(In one of the titles the vfx are off.)
I appreciate your insight and aid. What you did was be constructive. That's what I can take but there's a lot of elitist attitudes.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:23 PM   #27
FreddyLongSongs
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryogenic View Post
Oops. I guess I missed the part about not critiquing. That is what you will get when you post on a filmmaking site. Then you say come correct and be constructive. That sounds like you want critique. Look like you just want glad hand. If I like something I will tell you. If I think there is a problem I will post to try and help with the problem. If it becomes apparent the someone thinks they are all that and not actually looking to make themselves a better filmmaker then I will at that point ignore that person. You have tricked yourself into believing you are all that and do not seem to want to make your films better. There are problems with your trailer. Period. You do not want to accept that. Fine. Done. I have a trailer I have posted before (that I know is not perfect) Here is the facebook link to it, sorry that is all I can access from my current location.

https://www.facebook.com/Waiting2Die...1647404922798/
Deactivated my facebook so maybe another time. Constructive criticism for improvement for my next go around. Just crapping on me is nothing I will stand for and I must believe in myself before anyone else does. So, that's just me.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:44 PM   #28
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

This trailer sucks ass.

Don't quit your day job dude.

THAT is crapping on somebody. Nothing in this tread is crapping, and everyone took the time to watch and comment. You don't get to dictate what type of comments you will receive, that is based on the work you post. If you want people to kiss your ass, this is not the right site. We are relatively troll free, and this site is hailed as being one where people actually help each other. If you can't see it, because you think your trailer is perfect, then I can't help you, and maybe you should show it to some close family, so they can rave about it.

Post it on reddit, and see what crapping on is really like.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:03 PM   #29
FreddyLongSongs
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indietalk View Post
This trailer sucks ass.

Don't quit your day job dude.

THAT is crapping on somebody. Nothing in this tread is crapping, and everyone took the time to watch and comment. You don't get to dictate what type of comments you will receive, that is based on the work you post. If you want people to kiss your ass, this is not the right site. We are relatively troll free, and this site is hailed as being one where people actually help each other. If you can't see it, because you think your trailer is perfect, then I can't help you, and maybe you should show it to some close family, so they can rave about it.

Post it on reddit, and see what crapping on is really like.
Maybe but it's cool and I am over it. It is what it is. It's not Hollywood quality but I did my damnedest.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:13 PM   #30
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Yes but nobody said you didn't! And I believe you did.

One thing WalterB said is, you often hear your own dialog differently because you are familiar. This is VERY true. When you know the words that are being said you hear them as they were intended. When you don't know beforehand, and the actor is talking fast, or the music is too loud, it can be incomprehensible to the non-familiar but your ears don't have a problem. I know you come from the music biz, the same holds true for misheard lyrics. How many songs have funny misheard lyrics but the songwriter/singer never heard it because they knew the actual words? There's songs where you swear they are singing one thing but it is totally something else. That happens with dialog, and if you are close to it, as in you wrote it, or a crew member, you don't hear it. That's why it's always good to listen to people that are hearing it for the first time. That happens to me with your trailer. I think with some breathing room around the words instead of the quick edits or music fade-ups, and a bit of a boost in audio, it will be there.