Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Screenwriting

Old 10-28-2016, 03:08 AM   #1
Cracker Funk
Basic Member

Introducing: Upbeat Drop!

Long-time IT'ers have seen me, over the last few years, introduce a handful of projects. None of these projects have come to fruition (but I keep them as potential for the future). At this point, I may come off like The Boy Who Cried Movie, but I don't really care, haha. One of the things that I appreciate about IT is the fact that not only can I share my filmmaking ideas with other people who have similar ideas and get feedback from them, but I can share my filmmaking emotions with other people who "get it".

This time feels different. This time feels more like how I felt when I was in the early stages of developing Antihero. This time feels like something I've done before, except better.

In Upbeat Drop, Rosalyn DeLeon Geurerro, coming from a very traditional Catholic family, struggles to come out of the closet as lesbian, choosing to use musical expression to battle her inner-demons.

I'm making a musical!

I've spent the last couple months outlining and researching. The research is mainly character-related, as the two main leads are people with very different life experiences than me. The outline is pretty solid (at least insomuch as I have a general idea of the story), and I'm a few weeks away from being ready to start actually writing. The research has been going well, and it will be on-going until the shooting-script is finalized.

Which, in addition to just being excited about my project and wanting to share it, the deadline for the shooting-script is the main reason for this post. Up until a couple days ago, I had no deadline for my next screenplay. My idea was that I'd just let it happen in whatever time-frame it needed to happen. A couple days ago, life circumstances forced me to make a deadline. It's not an arbitrary made-up deadline. This one actually matters, for personal reasons that I don't care to share here.

The initial deadlines I've set are that I plan to be finished with the 1st rough draft by the end of January, 2017. And I need a finalized shooting-script by the end of November, 2017.

My main question is this -- seeing as how the 11-30-17 deadline for a shooting-script is one I need to stick to, do you think 1-31-17 is a good deadline for the 1st rough draft? Do you think I should allow more or less time for the many revisions that will need to take place?
Cracker Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 10-28-2016, 04:39 AM   #2
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

I haven't written a feature yet so I can't comment on that.
But I can say good luck!! My projects have been dragging slowly along too but I'm still working on it.
sfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:35 AM   #3
mlesemann
IndieTalk Moderator

The timeline looks good to me. There will ALWAYS be more revisions that you can make, but it's good to make a schedule and stick with it, even when you'd love to keep re-writing.
mlesemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:25 AM   #4
NickClapper
Basic - Premiere Expired

I am also making a musical CF!

Albeit on a much smaller scale and shorter timespan. But we can swap notes, I'm sure it's all gonna be ace
NickClapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:08 AM   #5
JoshL
Basic Member

Send a message via AIM to JoshL
Best of luck, CF! You too, Nick!
JoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:22 PM   #6
Cracker Funk
Basic Member

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. And thank you, Mara, for sharing your thoughts on the timeline.

Nick, I'm making a musical, but I'm not really making a musical. Like, nobody is ever going to just break out into song while standing in line at the grocery store or whatever. I'm modeling this movie in the fashion of movies like Once, Begin Again, and Sing Street, in that any time our hero sings her emotions, it's because she's writing a song.

That being said, yes of course please send me any notes you'd like, regarding the musical you're working on.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:21 PM   #7
WalterB
Basic Member

So, when will the IT Musical Fest start?

Some noisy inspiration:

BTW, this is not the full album. (Strange enough.)
The whole album is a masterpiece.
WalterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:10 PM   #8
Cracker Funk
Basic Member

At some point I guess I should say that yes, I'm making a musical, but not a traditional musical. I'm going to do my best to follow in the footsteps of John Carney, by making a movie about a songwriter, so that any time our hero expresses herself through song, it's because she's writing a song.

There's been some stiff competition, but Sing Street is on my short list for favorite movies this year. Once and Begin Again are pretty damn good as well. I've heard I need to watch Llewyn Davis.

Any other non-musical musicals I need to check out? Of course there's Ray (loved it), and Walk the Line (overrated in my opinion, but maybe I should give it a 2nd chance). For satire, Walk Hard, CB4 and Fear of a Black Hat are pretty great. But that's a short list -- there's got to be more movies about songwriters making music that I need to see. Your recommendations?
Old 10-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #9
mlesemann
IndieTalk Moderator

Love & Mercy certainly. La La Land looks like it's more of a "traditional" musical but it's getting enough attention that I would say you should see it when it opens in January even if it's not the way you want to go with your project.
mlesemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 03:28 PM   #10
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Good luck! Deadlines are definitely good, coming from a procrastinator. Outside forces usually set deadlines as I am bad at doing that myself.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:03 PM   #11
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker Funk View Post
At some point I guess I should say that yes, I'm making a musical, but not a traditional musical. I'm going to do my best to follow in the footsteps of John Carney, by making a movie about a songwriter, so that any time our hero expresses herself through song, it's because she's writing a song.
I liked both pitch perfect films
sfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:51 AM   #12
Cracker Funk
Basic Member

I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but this movie is very much a tribute to the music of Bob Marley. As such, my research involves extensively listening to and deconstructing his music. Best. Research. Ever.

For your listening pleasure -

Old 11-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #13
maz
Basic Member

So are you writing all the songs too? I am in awe of you if so After trying my hand at songwriting and screenwriting, having to do both concurrently is a mindset I don't think I could occupy for a feature-length duration!
maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #14
Cracker Funk
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maz View Post
So are you writing all the songs too? I am in awe of you if so After trying my hand at songwriting and screenwriting, having to do both concurrently is a mindset I don't think I could occupy for a feature-length duration!
No, I'm looking to other people to write the songs. I'll be sequencing the arrangements, but that's of course not the same as songwriting.

You should still be in awe of me, cuz I'm kinda awesome! Lol, just kidding.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:54 PM   #15
maz
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker Funk View Post
No, I'm looking to other people to write the songs. I'll be sequencing the arrangements, but that's of course not the same as songwriting.

You should still be in awe of me, cuz I'm kinda awesome! Lol, just kidding.
Oh, I see. What exactly do you mean by "sequencing the arrangements" in this context?

And I am still slightly in awe of you, as I am of anyone with completely ironclad confidence in their own abilities
maz is offline   Reply With Quote