• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Ages

It's been quite a while since I've actually sat down to work on a screenplay in any form other than general brainstorming and outlining and I have a question, as well as somewhat of a poll or survey related to the question.

When using actual numbers for ages, e.g. 20's, 30's, etc., if I wanted to suggest that the character is closer to 20, say around 21 or 22, would I hyphenate the age (early-20's)?

I tend to go back and forth between using numbers and spelling out the age but, then again, would I hyphenate (early-twenties) or not?

These kind of specifics always screw me up. I've been Googling this for a while, but have thus far come up empty.

I'm using actual numbers in this screenplay for the sole purpose of saving space without being too specific (21, 22, etc.). Truthfully, the screenplay itself isn't even fully formulated; it's really just a practice script to help me get back into the swing of things.

I have a(n) (old) copy of Trottier's Screenwriter's Bible, but it's buried in a box somewhere in my room (yeah, it's been that long).

As for the poll/survey: I know we all work from the same basic formula, but with different styles, and I'm really just curious as to how you guys describe character ages. Do you write out the number? Do you use actual numbers? If you use actual numbers, do you use commas or just throw an age into parentheses? How specific are you in describing a character's age? Stuff like that.

Thanks in advance for any advice/responses!

P.S. Please excuse my punctuation and what have you. I've literally been up all night and running around all morning. I'm tired as balls.

P.P.S. Tired as I may be, it feels great to jump back in! (Even if I am a little rusty.)

a. The architect is in his early twenties.
b. He is an early-twenties architect.

so

Mike, early 20s, ...

I say non since this is suggesting you are using the context of example a not b.

Back