• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How about just acting out the scripts?

I've been thinking about this.

When I posted a thread about doing a couple of scenes, I didn't even know about coverage, and I was shocked to find out that a simple scene can take several hours. I have spoken to a cinematographer who has said the real planning is far more complex than what I imagined.

OK, fair enough, and I'll have to get an appropriate crew. But, before that, I want to flesh out my scripts, and, quite honestly, I am approaching the time when I want to film, come what may. I am thinking of finding someone just to get a camera and do simple shoots of the scenes, like an enhanced table read, so I can get an idea of how the scene would work. I understand Jerry Lewis did something like this, to give himself ideas on what he really wanted.

Any thoughts?

I think improv can be very valuable, but it does depend on using actors who have been trained to do it. You should also (I think) be careful to stipulate in written agreements in advance that participating in the improv exercise does not give the actor(s) any ownership claim on the writing or the right to necessarily be cast in the final project.

Back