• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch "Summer Falls" Comedy Short

The script was pretty damn good - it stayed humorous, and the lines actually felt natural. Too often with indie scripts the lines just feel forced, but the lines here were very smooth, no doubt aided by the perfect actors for the roles. Even if that is you and a friend, people often find it hard to write lines even for themselves, because they don't comprehend the difference between pre-planned speech and improvised speech.

There is a definite problem with both the shots and the sound though. Many of the shots seem to have been done without much thought put into them, which can often make it seem unprofessional. For example at several points you have the camera directly facing them, such as when you did the shots where they were talking on the bench - I get that those shots of each other were coming from each other's perspective, but seeing as the rest of the short film wasn't in that perspective it just seems terribly off. Peep Show gets away with it because the entire show is in a first person perspective. With third person shots, dialogue is often done with over-the-shoulder perspective as opposed to just directly from where the other person is positioned, which you actually did at certain points (the inconsistency of which lends to the unprofessional feel).

The sound isn't really mentioned too much to people who are still at the low-end of independent, but you should know that using your camera's in-built microphone isn't a very good method of recording audio - your best bet is to get an external microphone (I suggest a boom mic, not a shotgun mic - or just get both and experiment), and if you don't have an input jack on your camera get an external recorder.

Still though, your best bet is to watch a lot of films and take note of how they do specific types of scenes - dialogue shots, action shots, etcetera. Also, if you get the chance, read through these:

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/rule-of-thirds
http://www.digital-photography-scho...bonaccis-ratio-the-rule-of-thirds-on-steroids

And with future inside shots, think about maybe setting up a three-point lighting system - it helps add depth to the shot.

Nice work though :) I'd definitely say the superb script and acting has made this one of the best comedy shorts I've seen lately. The only thing off about the script was that throughout it I didn't get the idea that he loved her or whatever until he made that speech to Eric (nice name, btw), and then there was the DREADED MONTAGE.

Edit:

Forgot to mention the editing. I'm not really an expert when it comes to editing, but I'd definitely say a lot of it in the short was very off. A couple of tips:

> Match the pace of shots to the pace of the scene - at several points you have various fast shot transitions happening when they're talking slowly in a conversation, and if anything that just helps to accenture the lack of continuity between shots (even professionals get continuity wrong sometimes, but they tend to disguise it well - unless that professional happens to be behind Sons of Anarchy or Desperate Housewives).

> Having those montages of random action just don't really fit well and don't make much sense - even if it's showing stuff that they do between the scenes, it just doesn't fit. Try to avoid using them.

> Keep that pace consistent. At various points you had shots coming in second after second and then suddenly you'll stay for about 30 seconds with one shot. Also, keep the sound consistent, even if that sound is 70% wind.

> Another note on that - shots don't often last for as long as 30 seconds, they're often much, much less. Changing shots keeps pace with the scene and adds variety and interest for the viewer.

Last edited:
Your actors do a pretty decent job.
Keep 'em.
Develop more material for them.

Audio... is a hassle. LOL!
Yeah, keep working on that.
Gotta figure out some way to kill that echo-y sound, especially in tight spaces, which is a whole other hassle.
Drape blankets off camera.

Color correct the blue-neutral shots to the yellowish ones.
Another hassle.

Congratulations!
I look forward to your next piece.

GL

Ray

Last edited:
thanks a lot

thanks, i was the main guy in the movie, the other actor was my friend. I've never had a reall camera made for making movies so im always running into problems like that. thanks again.

I really appreciate this advice. I'm glad you took the time to comment on my film. I really never even noticed on some of the errors i made, like the quick cutting and the montages. Now that i notice it, the quick cutting gives it a sort of neurotic flow to it. As for the long shots, i know it was probably too long but i feel like longer scenes are harder to act in and i like the challenge myself and my actors when making these shorts. But there are other ways of challenging the actors, so ill try to focus on them next time. thanks again for your feedback, i really appreciate it. more than you know.

I'm not saying get rid of the long scenes, I'm saying get rid of the long shots. From 07:51 to 10:05, you had just one shot for his entire story. As far as I know, this isn't common practise - it makes that part dull to watch. It could have been split apart by shots of what she's drawing, or even just different angles.

I know that could sound hard to do with a single camera, but it's really not. I understand what you mean about it being harder to act for prolonged stretches of time, and it's good to hear you're pushing yourself as an actor, but really it just damages that section. You could still film that scene and then just repeat the scene from different angles. That's good for editing later, where you can dub the audio from one scene that sounds fairly well over the other scenes, getting consistent sound across different shots - of course, that also relies on the actors themselves being consistent in their lines.

That method has the downside of some continuity errors - sometimes - but trust me, it would be better off in the end. Spending 2 minutes and 14 seconds on a single shot just isn't normal for narrative pieces - as far as I know, the last time I saw something like that was either a time lapse or a nature documentary.

I'm not saying get rid of the long scenes, I'm saying get rid of the long shots. From 07:51 to 10:05, you had just one shot for his entire story. As far as I know, this isn't common practise - it makes that part dull to watch. It could have been split apart by shots of what she's drawing, or even just different angles.

I know that could sound hard to do with a single camera, but it's really not. I understand what you mean about it being harder to act for prolonged stretches of time, and it's good to hear you're pushing yourself as an actor, but really it just damages that section. You could still film that scene and then just repeat the scene from different angles. That's good for editing later, where you can dub the audio from one scene that sounds fairly well over the other scenes, getting consistent sound across different shots - of course, that also relies on the actors themselves being consistent in their lines.

That method has the downside of some continuity errors - sometimes - but trust me, it would be better off in the end. Spending 2 minutes and 14 seconds on a single shot just isn't normal for narrative pieces - as far as I know, the last time I saw something like that was either a time lapse or a nature documentary.

Yeah thats a good point. I probably shud have thought about that lol it is odd, especially for a short film.

First, love the boss character. Would like to see more of that guy. Also, at 3:03, where he looks into his hat, that could have been comedy gold, but when he "mouthed" WTF it lost the effect. Just having him do that stupid face, then back to normal as if nothing had happened??? IMO, Golden. But hey different strokes. I agree with what's been mentioned already.

I really liked it, I thought it was really good.
Only thing I can say for next time is just maybe invest in some type of external mic to improve sound. Other than that I thought it was great. Some shots ran a bit long but I didn't get pulled out of the story because of it.
Great job :)

First, love the boss character. Would like to see more of that guy. Also, at 3:03, where he looks into his hat, that could have been comedy gold, but when he "mouthed" WTF it lost the effect. Just having him do that stupid face, then back to normal as if nothing had happened??? IMO, Golden. But hey different strokes. I agree with what's been mentioned already.

haha its funny that you say that because he was supposed to be in two more scenes. one, we filmed but it got lost, the second scene he is in was longer but it was deleted accidentally. and the other scene we never got to shoot. but we both loved his character too, that guy is so funny.

I really liked it, I thought it was really good.
Only thing I can say for next time is just maybe invest in some type of external mic to improve sound. Other than that I thought it was great. Some shots ran a bit long but I didn't get pulled out of the story because of it.
Great job :)

I def need a new camera and a mic. i totally agree, and im really glad yu liked it. it really means a lot to me.

Also, something I just noticed - your camera seems to be autofocusing a lot. I didn't really catch it on the first watch (must not have been wearing my glasses), but there's some definite problem with the depth of field shifting a lot in many shots. It mainly started after the job-interview scene. I thought perhaps the camera man was messing about with the zoom, but then noticed it was too common for that to be the case.

Are you using a video camera? Check to see if you can turn off autofocus. One of my main gripes with video cameras is auto focusing. It's not normally a problem, but for some reason it was messing up shots in your short film where everything was in the same position. A tad too sensitive.

Also, something I just noticed - your camera seems to be autofocusing a lot. I didn't really catch it on the first watch (must not have been wearing my glasses), but there's some definite problem with the depth of field shifting a lot in many shots. It mainly started after the job-interview scene. I thought perhaps the camera man was messing about with the zoom, but then noticed it was too common for that to be the case.

Are you using a video camera? Check to see if you can turn off autofocus. One of my main gripes with video cameras is auto focusing. It's not normally a problem, but for some reason it was messing up shots in your short film where everything was in the same position. A tad too sensitive.

its a photo camera. just happens to be the only camera i have with HD. but i think it is because autofocus is on. i shud prolly turn that off lol i didnt have a camera guy, i just put it on a tripod. i really just need a new camera with better audio lol

Disagree. I thought it was good until he mouthed that, which then turned it into hilarious.

Back