• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Music Video about domestic violence

Hey guys,

Here is a music video I finished with my team at fiveknightsproductions.com just recently.
Take a look and let me know what you think! All criticism is extremely appreciated.
Thoughts, suggestions, what you like, what you don't like.
Thanks and enjoy. :)

https://vimeo.com/48280173

The song is flat out amazing!

The video on the other hand could have used a little bit of an "experienced" touch. The shot composition was pretty darned good, there were a few times where I would have adjusted the shots based on the emotion of the scene but that is "artists choice".

The lighting was flat, pretty much everywhere. If all you have is $10 in your pocket go to Lowes and buy a 4x8 piece of foam with the silver colored mylar backing and a cheap razor knife. Cut that sucker into quarters and you have a $10 bounce board! If you had lights...you really need to do some reading on creating depth in your shot with light and shadows. It was well lit, don't get me wrong, but a little too well.

I'm going to guess that was shot on a T2i, 60D or maybe a T3i. Either way there was a haze to the entire film. Almost like you meant to put something on it to give it a dream like feel but it didn't come out right. I would get that thing back into your color correction program and adjust some levels until you get rid of the haze. It might even solve your light/shadows issue.

Whomever directed this could have used a bit more interaction and guidance to the actors, especially the dad. Most everything felt forced. I realize that this was probably a no-pay gig, and that your actors were probably friends, but the dad has potential...he sold most of his non-verbals really well. It was just when he spoke that it didn't feel right. Oh and I'll put $100 on the fact that the actor is a very kind and gentle soul. I say that because you could tell even the mere thought of hitting a kid tore at his soul. Sad part is that when you have a violence scene like that, reservations like his jump out at you.

Fight scene was fantastic...shooting and editing. I would have had the boy nearly drooling with rage though. He was supposed to have snapped. Like breaking up a dogfight feel, where his rage is focused on that one kid and he's willing to go through anyone to get there. I say that for the shot where the teacher breaks up the fight.

Hope this help.

Hey thanks a lot for the in depth reply and criticism. These are the type of comments me and my team appreciate.
In terms of the color, we gave it a certain "uncontrasted" look on purpose... maybe thats what you mean by haziness, but the lack of contrast was purposely done. It was shot with the 5d MarkII by the way. Not t2i was used.
Thanks for the other tips, about lighting and so forth. Really appreciate another person's honest opinion.
And you're right, this was done without budget... so we did have certain limitations.

Back