Film Color Correction and Grain

Hello i just had another question hope you don't mind. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to all this filmmaking stuff and i find it very interesting. I want to get this certain look for a film i'm thinking of doing in the following weeks to come. I want my film to look like the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ttQ4dhRgbY

How would a person get their video to look like that or is not even possible? I hope it is and maybe someone could shed some light on how color correction or whatever is needed to get that look is done.

1st thing, you need to do is lighten all your darkest blacks, especially in the shots that show things far away. You'll notice anything that's supposed to be black in their video is actually grey, green, blue, or sometimes red.

After that, it gets different for each shot. THe first shots have red blacks, some of the normal cloudy day shots have blue or grey blacks as well as some mids. The sunset shots with the gathering men have green blacks and orange whites, the first shots of the guy have a lot of green and blue, 2nd guy shots have some blues.

And now that I'm at the end of the video I'm seeing the big sunset shots where the blacks are actually really black again, so undo my step 1 here... in fact, darken the blacks as much as possible. A good way to compare blacks is to look at the empty youtube frame around the video. Since it's a square video in a rectangle frame, you have a good visual for what real black looks like to any given part of the video.

And finally, anything you shoot, the picture quality is going to be too good and sharp. You'll have to blur all of your footage.

Which aspects of the clip are you looking for? The first thing I notice is that it looks like like some older, worn footage. If you brought in your output white and output black you could match the black and white points a bit better, but I'm not sure if that's part of what you're going for.

Color correction-wise, try bumping up the cyan in the shadows, raise some orange in the mids and highs.

Lighting-wise, expose for the sunset on the landscapes (ND is your friend), allow the land to fall into silhouettes. For the close-ups diffuse the hell out of your light, and let the exposure on the skin drop into the mud a bit.

Not sure what else you're looking for.

Back