Canon XL1s or Sony VX2000

The general consensus that I've heard is that it depends on what you are looking for. The VX2000 will give you a crisper image and more of a video look. The XL1 will give you more of a cinematic "film" look. I have an XL1 and have no complaints about it. I recommend it, but I've never used the VX2000...

- Mike.

As for the most bang for the buck, you may want to consider whether you are going to want to shell out the money for interchangable lenses on for the XL1. While the XL1's lens is nice and impressively large, I wouldn't consider it all that much more impressive than the VX2000's due to the fact that its stock "manual" zoom and focus rings still run on servo motors. A true manual XL1 lens will cost at least another ~$1000 on top of the camera price. This would be a fantastic combo if you're willing to shell out the cash (upwards of $4500)
Aside from the lens issue, the main advantage of the XL1 are the XLR audio inputs, though the next step up from the VX2000, the PD-150, will match the XL1 on that level for around $500 less.
Personally I find the XL1 to be unnessecarily front heavy especially if I'm not going to be able to afford taking advantage of the manual lens. WIth the comparable video and audio quality in a smaller package, I'd pick the PD-150.
Of course, over any of these models I'd choose the Panasonic DVX100 which not only offers a manual focus lens and XLR inputs, but also features 24p and can be found for about the same price as an XL1.

Listen to filmerp (welcome! :D ). The only thing I’ll add is the XL1 generally requires more light than the PD-150 or the VX1000. Don’t know about the VX2000, DVX100, or XL2 though. We utilize a XL1 with an adaptor for 35mm lenses (my DP calls it a mini 35, but that is the only time I’ve ever heard that term) and it makes an excellent picture when lit correctly.

Back