Looking for the best $1000 Camcorder for a Documentary

Hi folks, can anyone point me to a good $1000 (or less) camcorder? I plan to buy a tripod and external mic too. This equipment is for a documentary, so I'll need to be able to edit the film.

Please feel free to post me links to specific camcorders or let me know about the general do's and dont's of buying a camcorder for a documentary in 2010!

Thanks in advance!

-g.

I'm new to camcorder buying, so I'm inclined to answer your questions with more questions, but from what I've read so far it sounds like I'd like an HD camera that will allow me to later distribute a documentary on DVD.

DVD's are not HD. DVD's are only standard definition. To distribute in High Def you're only real viable option is bluray.

So, you could shoot in HD, and then decrease the resolution to distribute as standard definition, but it's not necessary, and you'll be more likely to get a better deal on a standard definition camera with more control options than a camera with similar control options in HDV or HD.

Well not necessarily. My point was simply that you will probably be able to find a standard definition camera with more manual controls over focus, exposure, etc, for a lower price than for a high def camera with equal controls..

If that kind of control is less important to you, you could get into HD inexpensively with any number of consumer HD/HDV cameras.

A package you may be interested in.

Well not necessarily. My point was simply that you will probably be able to find a standard definition camera with more manual controls over focus, exposure, etc, for a lower price than for a high def camera with equal controls..

If that kind of control is less important to you, you could get into HD inexpensively with any number of consumer HD/HDV cameras.

First, I want to apologise for jumping in here, but I believe that shooting HD on miniDV tape is still a valid and cost effective method of indie production, mainly because archiving your footage is so simple: shoot, transfer to computer for editing, REWIND TAPE*, and store.

That said, I have a near-new Canon documentary package for sale (as of June 2010) which I'll just direct you to the listing if interested: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/pho/1785683695.html

*it is recommended that tape be rewound for long term storage (something I know but haven't always followed)

Something to consider is how "covert" do you want to be? When filming you subjects, do you want them to think "wow, look at that camera, this guys a real pro" or would you be better off if they thought you were just a guy with a video camera... for documentary work there are advantages to both approaches.

Do you expect to be on the run, filming off your shoulder, a one man operation, or are you part of a crew, sound, etc? I think knowing a bit more about your project might help to suggest a camera choice.

Back